HELP!!!!!

barredrockcrazy

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
We have 17 chickens-16 are hens, this one hen seems to isolate herself from the rest of the group. My daughter said she went down to the coop about three weeks ago and said that the other hens would jump on top of her and grab her comb and tear at it, so we put her in our workshop for a week and put her back out, for two weeks she walked like she was drunk, just no control of her feet and wings, on Saturday she started just dragging her right leg around. She likes hops on one foot and the other is just dragged around and she can't get up or down from the roosting bars, and her poop is green. We are new at this so any info would be great thanks

They may be attaching her because she is sick. Chickens will kill off any sick or injured birds as a survival instinct to protect the flock. I would keep her isolated for her own safety and for the other birds safety. That way you can also keep her on a controlled diet.

I am not certain about those exact symptoms but its always good to start with a check for mites and worms are those are very common and will weaken and kill a chicken. Good luck.

She sounds awful sick I would sure keep her away from your well chickens. When I don't know I always just give them antibiotic shot so I think i did something for them. Sometimes they will pull right out of it and sometimes they die anyways. I would feel her crop and see if she had any food in it if not moisten some bread with some milk and raw eggs and take a bite size piece of moistened bread towards back of mouth where she can't spit it out and get some food in her. I always jsut give penicillin 1cc and tylan 50 1/2cc mixed together in syringe for big chicken and decrease dosage to accomodate smaller chicken and give it on breast under skin. I get tetracylcine injection 1cc oxytetracyline for diarrhea type illnesses or I put some tetracylcine powder on bread and feed it to her that way so I know she gets it.
You can order it from KVVet supply or valleyvet supply online or go to tractor supply or atwoods or feed store to get some.
Make sure and wash your hands well after handling her, you don't want to give it to your other chickens. I always check them for mites too. Anemia causes lots of symptoms. Powder her with seven powder for animals or poultry dust or use adams flea spray on her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom