Help!!

luvmycritters

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
I know ...I know I was not supposed to do it but I did, I deserve a good scolding and I will own it - but i just want some input (big sigh). Today is day 22 and I could not keep my hands of the bator, sorry! I picked out a predetermined egg which used to have a saddle shaped air cell but really doesn't anymore. I was not expecting any movement. I candled it! The little buggar is alive and I could hear it peep! So I quickly replaced it and made sure the bator is okay. I did not notice any internal pip?????...I noticed veins and yet I know it is not ready. But I could hear it peep...Here I am all sick to my stomach and I am not sure what to do ...sit on my hands, yes I know and shame on me - I am sitting on them now...any input would be great..I think these babies are going to be late to say the least...I thought I did a really good "fool proof" job. I wish one of you experts were here with me now. Sitting here - playing cards, whatever...keeping fingers crossed!!

Sounds like you had lower than recommended temperatures. Make sure your thermometer is properly calibrated.
this is a good post. if your incubator cools down at night, or isn't 99.5 degrees (circulated air). your chicks will be a little late hatching. it can also be caused by lack of turning or a dry hatch.

as far as the egg you handled, if it wasn't out of the incubator more than 20 minutes you should be just fine.

keep in mind that when you open the incubator you lose humidity, and can cause your chicks to stick to their shells and not hatch.

just for the record, I did the same thing my first time around, and even helped some chicks out. I wish I could go back in time and smack myself on the hands LOL.

Today is day 23 now :) Nothing yet but I "think" I can see a few of the eggs bobble around a little bit. I have not touched the bator and am going to try really really hard to just leave it alone for a few more days. I thought that my temperature was right on throughout the whole process. I have had a few problems with the humidity and a little recently with the temp dropping. The weather here has not helped. At which point do you think I should do something more? This is my second attempt. I lost the whole batch last time, and they were mostly shrink wrapped. There was one that I tried to save and ended up killing it :( I had two thermoms in there but they weren't digital. If I can get through this one, I will be getting a digital one.
barnie.gif

It doesn't make any difference what type thermometer you buy or use, you can't assume they are correct. If you want to buy $60 Thermometers you will get Certified ones that you can depend on, other than that you need to check ALL of them for accuracy. It's the same for Hydrometers/Hygrometers

It doesn't make any difference what type thermometer you buy or use, you can't assume they are correct. If you want to buy $60 Thermometers you will get Certified ones that you can depend on, other than that you need to check ALL of them for accuracy. It's the same for Hydrometers/Hygrometers
this is very true, I put a few in an incubator, then took the average, found the thermometer(s) that matched. I used the ones made for Styrofoam incubators and think I paid about a buck for them.

even digital thermometers have a difference between them, accuracy is usually listed on the back. but, I never had any luck with digital sitting in an incubator, they always seem to stick. I didn't buy the expensive ones, but I didn't get the cheap ones either. one made specially for incubators is probably fine, or get one with a temp. probe.

Agree on the thermometer issue I have 4 in the incubator and they all read a degree or two different.. I am so hoping things hatch ok.. it is my first hatch.

Well - I am pretty sure they are all toast.I opened one and it looks like it couldn't get itself turned around, I could see the back of the head but not the beak. No sign of life there. Yoke sac not absorbed. The outer membrane looked good and so did the inner membrane. I think it must have been the humidity - the air sac on this one was larger. I could get it no higher than 68 at the very max.during lock down and had trouble keeping it in the range of 25 to 40 during the first 18 days. 2 of them stopped developing. 9 to go and I have no hope at all for them. I tried so hard. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I read and read and thought I had everything right. Not sure If I will try this again or not. Based on the above, during the first 18 days, is that what the range it should've been?

I'm so sorry it died. :( This is harder than I thought it would be. I had a 25% loss on my first hatch and I'm trying to figure out what went wrong too.

Back
Top Bottom