Help!!!!

tull14

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Delaware
Went out to my barn this morning to check on the ducks and I saw blood. So I immediately started doing a check and with 17 babies that's hard to do. My little black Swedish olive had blood coming outgrown underneath her wings. I can't really get a good look at it but I know there was blood and is still bleeding I out her in a warm tub by herself. Any ideas suggestions???

Update: I know 5 seconds later. Looks like one of the feather quill things is bleeding? Like the tip of it broke off? It doesn't seem to bother her at all but I'm worried.

It's a broken blood feather. Get a pair of tweezers or plyers and gently rip the remainder of the broken feather out. It is important you get all of it or it won't stop bleeding. She is not dying,.... yet. As long as you remove it before she loses too much blood she will be herself again in minutes.

Seems to have stopped bleeding on its own, should I just leave it be and let her rest? She is in the house in a separate box. I plan to keep her separated for a couple of days

This is my little Olive

So cute. Glad she is doing better. If she isn't bleeding this evening when time for them all to go to bed I'd put her out with her flock mates she would be happier.
Ok, I was worried that they would pick on her. I am just protective of my little Olive, I was not even supposed to get her, I was only supposed to get all mallards but she showed up. I've had a soft spot for her since day one.

Ok, I was worried that they would pick on her. I am just protective of my little Olive, I was not even supposed to get her, I was only supposed to get all mallards but she showed up. I've had a soft spot for her since day one.
Ducks aren't like chickens they don't tend to peck at ouches like they will, as long as you don't see blood and she is acting fine I'd put her back but it's your call since you know your flock the best. If you have Blue Kote you could spray some of that on the end of her feather just to disguise it.

Back
Top Bottom