Help....!!

jtchris

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2013
Outside of Wake Forest NC
Just joined and I know the answer is here somewhere, but....... I have my third chick hatching and it seems to be taking a long time for him or her to get through the shell. Is this okay or what should I do. There's only been a small 1/4" hole for over an hour. Thank you!!! John

When are the eggs scheduled to hatch? Sometimes a few will come out a little early, while others will pip the egg many hours before they come out (even a day early). If the egg has only been pipped for an hour it should be fine. As long as the humidity is right most chicks will hatch on their own. If the egg is pipped for 24 hours that is a good clue that the chick may need help. That can be tricky and dangerous for the chick.
If I feel that a chick needs help. I will pull tiny pieces away around the hole, slowly. If there is any blood, stop immediately. The skin around the chick on the inside of the egg has blood in it. When the chick gets ready to hatch, the skin will start to dry up and most of the blood is pulled into the chick. I know that it can be hard. Even when you think that you are helping, you will loose a chick. I wish you luck!
Todd

Greetings from Kansas, jtchris, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Good luck and happy hatching!!

welcome-byc.gif
An hour isn't really long to wait. While you are waiting you might want to pay a visit to the "raising backyard chickens' pick the tab regarding "Hatching"

Back
Top Bottom