Help

7hens1roomom

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
I am new to having chickens and I am not sure what to do. I thought we had 8 hens well not to be so my problem is that the 1 rooster he is now 5 months old and becoming very aggressive towards the hens. The one he is really picking on my favorite Sara Jane he is pecking her so much she is bleeding from the back if her neck. I don't know what to do I know what I would like to do the problem is the rooster is my 7 year old granddaughters. Will he become more aggressive the older he gets?

Welcome to BYC From West TN !!

When they first start mating with the hens they can be quite rough with them, then most will finally get their grove on and calm down some.. They will all peck or grab a mouth full of feathers on the head..

Watch him around the young kids, until you see how he does, carry a broom. I had one that as he went through his start up phase he did not want anyone others than myself around his girls.. But he has mellowed some now.

Hope it helps.

welcome-byc.gif
I would agree with what you want to do with him. Maybe he will settle down as he matures, now he is feeling too hormonal to even have any bird sense. If you could pen him separately from the hens or in a bachelor coop with other boys, he may quiet down. At some later date he may be less aggressive to the hens. There are so many good roosters looking for homes, many free or low cost, it's not worth the heartache of keeping a bad rooster. The aggressive nature can spill into his actions around people especially kids, since they make a lower target.

Could you impress upon your daughter - that he is injuring the hen and may likely end up killing her. This would not be unusual behavior for some roos.

Ours was very rough to start with though never drew blood but about a month down the track he settled down and all was fine.

Or all was fine with the hens. He then started attacking the kids, he seemed to get very jealous of any attention to his hens. In the end the kids couldn't even go in with them at all.

From now on do not let your granddaughter near him without supervision. He could quite easily turn and attack her and although he won't have spurs yet he can still do damage with his claws. Keep under your watchful eye for a good few months till you know he isn't going to show any signs of aggression towards the kids.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom