1. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok, so one of my speckled Sussex has this big kinda squishy lump on her chest a little to the left. I am not sure what it is, it doesn't seem to hurt her or anything. It's just kinda big and I want to make sure she is ok! Please help or offer any advice, I think she has had it for a pretty long time. Maybe even since she was little..?

2. HubertsFarm

HubertsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    sounds like the gullet if i spelled that right... it is where the food is digested... kinda like a stomach for people.......... dont poke it or squish it... some times it will be full other times it will be empty... every chicken has it all the time... when they eat it will fill up... i wouldnt worry bout it unless it smells. but i dont think youll find any thing odd dangerous or wrong.

3. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok thank you so much HubertsFarm!!!! I feel so much better knowing she is safe and healthy!!! She has found where we stashed the bird seed and goes in every chance she has! So that is probably what it is, thanks again!!!!

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It might be impacted or sour crop - If it doesn't empty within another 24 hours or so, you should treat it. I've never had a bird with these ailments before, so look it up, or someone may post and tell you more.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Yes, it sounds like her crop, and she had a gluttonous time! Just make sure that it does empty in time, as mentioned, so you can rule out it being stopped up (sour/impacted).

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Are sour and impacted the same thing or different? I thought sour crop is when impacted crop well, sours. The stuff in there turns to mush and is really foul and disintegrated, which is different then impacted because the stuff in there is hard and doesn't grind up.

7. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Well when we felt it it felt like a bunch of seed in a bag.. She does love to eat, and eats alot! An she has always had a bigger gullet, or whatever it is ;) thanks everyone for the responses!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by