help

chik love

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 6, 2014
When do chicks start to pipping out of their egg? I have some in my incubator ( first time) and the heat got to 204 for awhile. IDK how long i think just like 30 min. will my chicks still be okay?

images

Welcome to BYC!

Do you mean 104 degrees? If this is the case, if this was a brief temp spike, then this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Temps inside the egg don't change all that rapidly. When they start pipping, they will sit like this for 24+ hours. They are busy absorbing the last of the yolk and detaching from the inside of the egg. Don't be tempted to do anything at this point. Some people think the chick is stuck and want to go dig the baby out. Don't do it. This will only kill the baby. So be patient after they pip for a couple days and they will hatch when ready. Make sure your vents are wide open now as the chicks need maximum oxygen. And keep your humidity up around 65% to 70%.

Here is a good article on hatching eggs you might want to read thru...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

Your chick should be o.k. as long as the core temperature of the egg didn't reach 104*F. That would kill the embryo. The core temperature takes quite awhile to rise though, so if you caught it early enough they should be o.k.

Back
Top Bottom