1. LuckyLadyBug

LuckyLadyBug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Hey everyone,
    I got a rescue chicken that came from very poor conditions. This morning I gave her a bath to remove all the poop and mud off her feet to cut back her nails that as you can see are horribly over grown. I found she has growths and scaly looking feet. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with her feet and how to hopefully cure them? She is also a cochin I think. I have never seen anything like this and refuse to allow her to join my flock until I can get her healthy. I have some poultry aid but I think she's going to need a lot more then that. Please look at the photos and tell me what you think. I am really worried, I have no clue on what to think. Thank you. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LuckyLadyBug

Mar 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    The more research I do all I can find are mite infections. I guess everyone will be getting a oil dip for their feet to prevent spreading.

3. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Soak her feet and legs in warm water with epsom salt for about 15 min. That will loosen up all the "gunk". Use a toothbrush to gentle brush her feet and legs while in the water too. Allow to dry, then yes, dip them in cooking oil (i use olive oil). Allow enough time to seep in underneath the scales. You will need to repeat the soak each day for a few days, but apply the oil daily for atleast a week or more. Sometimes, it can take longer. Scaly Leg Mites requires a lot of work. You could also coat the legs in vaseline instead of the oil. Some people use Ivermectin, but is very expensive here. Be sure to clean the coop and roosting bars, and replace bedding. Good luck.

4. LuckyLadyBug

Mar 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I just soaked her feet in olive oil after I trimmed her nails. Poor thing. I haven't introduced her to my flock but as a precaution should I treat them as well?

5. LuckyLadyBug

Mar 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Will her feet go back to normal after the treatments? Also I think from the nails being so long deformed her toes. [​IMG] How could anyone let this happen?

6. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Since you haven't introduced her to your flock yet, you don't need to treat them, unless you see evidence of mites on them too. I definitely wouldn't add her to the flock until hers is cleared up. Try the epsom salt soak and toothbrush tomorrow to try to get some of the gunk off. It works really well. But reapply the oil afterwards.

7. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Yes, if treated, her feet will eventually go back to normal. Those dead scales will fall off, and she will grow in nice and shiny new ones.
    I agree, her nails are quite long. Poor girl!!!

8. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I forgot to mention that you will need to treat her legs too. Since she has feathered legs, it's much harder to see, but as bad as her feet are, she has it on her legs too. They usually affect the legs first, then the feet. So, she has had this for a very long time.

9. LuckyLadyBug

Mar 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I cut her feathers back on her legs. I'm going to keep treatment going. If it doesn't clear up I may take her to the vet to see what they can do. Will the mites cause the growths?

10. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    The mites will get up under the scales and cause the scales to lift up. She has a lot like that. The other "growths", I think is just a build up of dirt and such from her previous unclean living condition. The epsom salt soak will penetrate that stuff and loosen it up so that it can easily be removed with a gentle toothbrush scrub. It make take 2-3 times though. Have you noticed any black looking scabs on the tops and bottoms of her feet? If so, that is Bumblefoot and will require a different approach as well as the leg mite treatment. Sometimes they can have both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by