1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by judyisfun, Jun 25, 2007.

1. judyisfun

judyisfun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    My hen has left her eggs, I brought them in the house, they are peeping at me....what should I do>

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Oh no! Do you have a cat carrier ? Maybe find something to lock that Mama in with her eggs??? Geesh, I'm no expert, maybe she will come back to them.
    Maybe someone else can offer some advice. I'm not experienced with the hatching stuff.
    Miriam

3. judyisfun

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    No some of her chicks have hatched so she is happy with them.........she sat on them overnight, but is off them again today.........

4. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Judy
    Check your email.

5. judyisfun

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    Thank you I ready my mail and I am keeping the eggs warm.......I have a lot to learn.............
    Thanks a lot

Judy

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My hen did the same thing, fortunately I have an incubator that I put them in to hatch. I read an article about using an electric skillet as an incubator in Backyard Poultry magazine.

7. judyisfun

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    Sara

An electric skillet...........yikes!!!!!!!!!!!
    Someone might mistake them for breakfast.........LOL
    Just joking, thanks for your idea.

Judy

8. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    If you can run to a walmart and get a cheep styrofoam cooler and then go into the lighting area and get a socket set for making a lamp you can cut a hole in the cooler at the top and insert the socket through the hole and then screw in a 40 watt bulb. also for a quick use cut a window in the top and seal with saran wrap so that you can keelp the moisure in. Put a bowl of hot water with some sponges in it in one corner to up the humitidy. also buy a thermometer and make sure that the temps are 99. If you have water condensing on the wrap there will be plenty of humidity. You can also use a dimmer that screws right into the socket and then the bulb into the dimmer. I have a larger cooler and had to use a 60 watt bulb with the dimmer. How many eggs did she have? Here is a pic looking through the window of my homemade bator. I used plexiglasss butplasticwrap will work for now. Jenn
    [​IMG]

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    That happened to me last year and I put two of them in my bra while I rigged up my hatcher. By the time I took them out they had pipped. I tried a crock pot first and it got way to hot on low. The Electric skillet has worked but you need to place a good layer of sand or bedding down even a folded hand towel. If they are peeping you can actually place them on a warm damp cloth and and put them in any type of plastic container. Place a drop light over them and a thermometer. Raise or Lower the light till you get 100 degrees. I used a clear plastic shoe box years ago when my ducks abandoned her eggs. We hatched out 8 in the shoe box.

10. judyisfun

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    Thank you Jaynie for your suggestion, I have them safe and warm now...

Judy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by