Help!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by albird101, Mar 14, 2015.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    My easter egger pullets started laying eggs last Saturday and I usually get around 5 eggs a week per pullet, I have 3 for around 15 eggs or so, but many of them are always cracked, my hens stay on the roots till I go open the door this is even till late afternoon and there continuously laying there eggs off of there perch and they fall and break, even when there outside they fly up to the perch to lay there egg and it breaks again, I'm getting fed up because I put so much money into these hens yet I'm getting repaid with broken eggs, should I just take out there roosts? I'm getting straw today and stuffing the bottom coop with 2 to 3 inches deep of it and I'm gunna lower down the roosts to about 1 foot high would that work?

2. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    I think lowering the perch and putting the straw in is a good idea. Do you have nesting boxes for them? You could put some boxes filled with hay outside so the chickens have a place to lay when they are outside.

3. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    I have 3 nest boxes that are in the coop, and 3 nest boxes that are portable that I move around the yard

4. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Put some dummy eggs, golf balls or eggs in the nesting boxes, that can help

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by