Help!

k8ydid47

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
This is my third hatch. I several different types of chicken eggs in the incubator. One of the eggs which is larger than most of the other ones is moving quite a bit but I'm only on day 16 what do I need to do to increase the chances of survival for all of the eggs? Sshould I increase the humidity should I stop turning the moving egg?

The moving egg won't hatch before the rest if incubation started the same day.
It may hatch a day early but hatching isn't imminent.
Have you candled to see if it was a double yolker?

I only have a regular flashlight and because the shell is so dark I can't see inside the egg. So I should assume that they're all almost ready to hatch and increased humidity and lockdown?

Last edited:
I was wondering if it was a double yolk too and that's going to be a whole Other set of questions. Don't double yolkers typically need help out of the shell?

Last edited:
I have had unusually high temperatures this hatch so I wouldn't be surprised if they hatch early perhaps I should just lock down tomorrow morning

Yes, if you know your temperatures were high throughout, then lock down early and up the humidity.

Double yolkers usually don't make it. Sometimes one will hatch but almost never both. Just not enough room or nutrition for 2 embryos.

I feel you on the dark eggs. I'm using a flashlight with a single LED and the lens removed. I incubate large eggs only if they're from mature hens. If they're under a year old and the egg is 65+ grams, I assume there are 2 yolks.

Really IMHO, lockdown at day 18 is an arbitrary number so that if they hatch early the humidity will be right for them. I've locked down at day 17 and at day 20 with no ill effects.

Last edited:
Yes, if you know your temperatures were high throughout, then lock down early and up the humidity.

Double yolkers usually don't make it. Sometimes one will hatch but almost never both. Just not enough room or nutrition for 2 embryos.

I feel you on the dark eggs. I'm using a flashlight with a single LED and the lens removed. I incubate large eggs only if they're from mature hens. If they're under a year old and the egg is 65+ grams, I assume there are 2 yolks.

Really IMHO, lockdown at day 18 is an arbitrary number so that if they hatch early the humidity will be right for them. I've locked down at day 17 and at day 20 with no ill effects.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom