Helped a chick (keet) hatch. What to expect afterwards?

Another update: he’s not doing good. I found him on his back kicking his legs and when I tried to turn him over her would go right back on his back. I took him out of the incubator and he was opening and closing his beak but no sounds are coming out. I gave him some water with a syringe and now I’m just holding him. He has calmed down but I’m not sure he’s going to make it. It makes me so sad but I know it’s part of having farm animals. Still not giving up just yet but things are definitely looking bleaker.
Oh shoot. Yes, usuallly the mouth moving like that is never good for a chick, a keet, anything.

Do you have any vitamin b complex capsules? Or are you able to get any? You can usually get it at Walmart with normal vitamins? Vitamin E as well.

getting him some of those will probably be the only shot, and not a great one. Id usually be hesitant to give to a keet, but left untreated entirely he will die.

Oh shoot. Yes, usuallly the mouth moving like that is never good for a chick, a keet, anything.

Do you have any vitamin b complex capsules? Or are you able to get any? You can usually get it at Walmart with normal vitamins? Vitamin E as well.

getting him some of those will probably be the only shot, and not a great one. Id usually be hesitant to give to a keet, but left untreated entirely he will die.
Final update: I ended up culling him. He was suffering and I felt so sorry for him it was not right for me to be selfish and watch him suffer. I’ve never culled before so that was hard, but I know it was the right thing to do.

Thank you again for all your help I truly appreciate it!

I do have others that are a little older, so I may sneak back in this thread in a few months and let you know how crazy they’re driving me!!

Final update: I ended up culling him. He was suffering and I felt so sorry for him it was not right for me to be selfish and watch him suffer. I’ve never culled before so that was hard, but I know it was the right thing to do.

Thank you again for all your help I truly appreciate it!

I do have others that are a little older, so I may sneak back in this thread in a few months and let you know how crazy they’re driving me!!
Please do and I think that was the right call.

They really are just so difficult, and I think the fact that he needed help out of the egg was enough to assume that he wasn't going to make it.

Good choice though. I am
Sure it feels good to not worry.

Back
Top Bottom