Helpful tips to save money when keeping DUCKS!! :)

The Dollar Tree store offers two money saving items that are great for duck use

The $1.00 bucket makes a great (gallon) drinking container! I cut out a letter "C" if you will, and smoothed off any sharp edges. My duckies love these buckets and some even rest their heads on it when they sleep.

Item number 2 can also be found at the Dollar Tree. They sell oil change plastic pans that make great feeding trays. Most farm/pet supply stores sell similar rubber bowls for $15+. You can get one for just $1.00!!

I buy wheat seeds in bulk, and then sprout them. This is less expensive than peas. Now, I still do buy peas, especially when they are on sale, but having wheat sprouts adds different nutrients and they don't need to be frozen.

I learned some weeds that are good for the ducks to eat, and I let them grow in places in the yard, so there is free salad. I also grow some of our own lettuce and other greens for treats.

I use the used duck bedding as mulch in the garden instead of buying mulch. And duck manure supercharges the compost, so I don't have to buy compost. I have already used about $100 worth of compost and good garden soil this spring from duck bedding and vegetable scraps that we produced here.

I don't buy chicken eggs while the ducks are laying - that saves money. Oh, and duck poo in water is a great, free fertilizer.

My great grandmother said you can buy mealworms and "grow" them. I know my ducks love dried mealworms and they are not very cheap. Not sure if you'd be comfortable touching live mealworms but it worth a money saving shot! I'm sure the same could be done with earthworms.

Anyone have and money saving tips regarding a pool for their ducks??? Mine have outgrown the $7 kiddie pool and are needing something they can splash around and dive in.

The Dollar Tree store offers two money saving items that are great for duck use

The $1.00 bucket makes a great (gallon) drinking container! I cut out a letter "C" if you will, and smoothed off any sharp edges. My duckies love these buckets and some even rest their heads on it when they sleep.

Item number 2 can also be found at the Dollar Tree. They sell oil change plastic pans that make great feeding trays. Most farm/pet supply stores sell similar rubber bowls for $15+. You can get one for just $1.00!!

AWESOME IDEA keeping the ducks from swimming in their water dish. Do you need to weigh it down or do your ducks not tip it over trying to get inside?

Anyone have and money saving tips regarding a pool for their ducks??? Mine have outgrown the $7 kiddie pool and are needing something they can splash around and dive in.

Mine did as well.... I ended up letting them use my preformed garden pond.... Now the big deal is keeping the filter clean, seems to be an every hour job. :-\

Back
Top Bottom