Helping a broody, Need advice

I put another hen in with the eggs and she is laying on them. I let the babies and the mother out into the flock. They are sticking close to mom but the other chickens are taking them in and treating them good. I hope I made the right decision but the eggs are blocked off with an Easter Egger sitting on them. The mother and 2 chicks are roaming like it is their home. I cannot wait until tomorrow. I wont get my hopes up as they went hours at a time not being laid on. One day was at least 8 hours. Now the EE is on the eggs full time since about 4 am. Who am I kidding. My hopes are UP UP UP UP
If they don't hatch in the next few days you can still give the EE hen some more fresh eggs. Just make sure to start them all on the same day this time and don't add any after that first day.

today was hatch day and it was bad. She laid on the eggs very part time. I finally helped. # eggs were loaded with green liquid that stank really bad.about 10 or so were just normal eggs with blood in them. 2 were like hard boiled eggs and they also smelled. 1 dead baby chick. I hatched carefully and pulled away shell carefully. The chick was dead and extremely small but a chick with nothing extra. I hope next time is better.

Back
Top Bottom