Helping a weak newly hatched chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chikinwing, Aug 5, 2011.

1. chikinwing

chikinwing Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    I have a little Maran chick that hatched almost 48 hours ago and is not eating yet. It will drink sugar water that I am giving it. It is having great difficulty trying to stand up, I put shoes on her because her toes were curled, but it seems as if one leg is weaker than the other, not really splayed just drawn in and no strength. She wants to be with the others and cries when I seperate her. She scoots around to the water and tries to stand. But she has yet to eat any food. What is the best thing to try and feed her? I have tried the crumble and oats, she won't try either.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    She may be eating when you are not looking- or because of her weakness might be pushed aside by the others when she tries to eat.
    You could try giving her cooked oatmeal, or scrambled eggs, or yogurt, or even wet mash-- soak the food in water to make it mashy. I would take her away from the others a few times a day to ensure she is eating. But remember, she can go another day without eating- the yolk keeps them nourished for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by