Helping my goslings like me?

KatAndTree

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2023
So I have 7 goslings in the brooder (along with some chicks and a couple of ducks). They came from Metzer last week, 2 buff, 3 pilgrims, and 2 embden. The first day or two they were super docile and enjoyed snuggling, but I have only had like 15-20 minutes a day to spend by the brooder (which is out in the barn). I was really hoping that they would not end up scared of me, but it seems like that’s what’s starting to happen. They now run away whenever I put my hand in the brooder. Any tips on correcting this before it’s too late? I’m planning on keeping these ones around for as long as possible and I’d love to have them be friendly like people talk about (follow you around like pups behavior). What should I be doing?

Attachments

• IMG_9084.jpeg
    IMG_9084.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 39
Is your brooder a box that you suddenly appear on top to sweep them up?
Yes and no, it’s a box on the floor with an open top, I typically come up to it slowly and wait for them to settle down a bit. Then I slowly reach in, but as soon as one of them (or more frequently a chick or duckling) runs they all freak out

Is your brooder a box that you suddenly appear on top to sweep them up?
I’m also just trying to figure out what I should be doing to socialize them more. I could carve out some more time, but I’m not sure what goose socialization with people should look like. So tips on that would be appreciated as well.

You just have to spend more time with them. Goslings will associate anyone who spends the most time with them as a parent, but they’re alone with each other far more often than they see you, so you’re a scary stranger to them. Geese as adults are pretty similar, they’ll associate you as one of their flock if you spend a lot of time with them, but if they start seeing you less over several weeks to months you can sometimes become a nuisance to avoid or even a rival in breeding season in their eyes.

You just have to spend more time with them. Goslings will associate anyone who spends the most time with them as a parent, but they’re alone with each other far more often than they see you, so you’re a scary stranger to them. Geese as adults are pretty similar, they’ll associate you as one of their flock if you spend a lot of time with them, but if they start seeing you less over several weeks to months you can sometimes become a nuisance to avoid or even a rival in breeding season in their eyes.
How much time is this? Like a couple hours a day? More? Less? I took them out on the grass today and spent 2 hours with them, they were following along when I would call them over and letting me pet them and being sweet. It felt like progress in the right direction.

i had the same issue with my goose bob, he started out all nice and loving but now all he wants are his ducks, if i catch him he will let me hold him for a few mins and if i take him to the front yard (the ducks stay in the back ) he will stay close to me. Maybe some one on one time with each with out the others around will help ?

How much time is this? Like a couple hours a day? More? Less? I took them out on the grass today and spent 2 hours with them, they were following along when I would call them over and letting me pet them and being sweet. It felt like progress in the right direction.
A couple hours. Think of them like dog cat hybrids, spend time with them like they’re your dog or they’ll become independent like a cat and your existence will mean little to them.

Welcome to goslings. There really interactive, They hit panic mode all the time totally normal. But they love you and still look to you. When your on there level eye to eye so friendly when you stand over them total fear. Kinda built in to them. Best thing you can do is spend what time you can with them. Teach them the rules. Like "HOME" time to go in the barn. "NO" we dont bite. Geese understand from the day there born that there is a protocol. Just be the person who protects them and is in charge for there own good. They will respect you for that.

Back
Top Bottom