Helping rest of flock deal with loss of hen

newchickenfam

Chirping
Feb 26, 2015
Hello,
We lost one of our chickens yesterday, she was just about at laying age. Was fine when I left the house, but dead when my husband got home from work a couple of hours later. I realize that unexpected deaths can happen in chickens, and I am not too concerned at this point because our other 2 chickens seem fine. They are, however acting a bit panicky at times. The chicken that passed was definitely the dominant/lead chicken, and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to help the other chickens out? Or will they eventually adjust?
Thanks, and sorry if this is a silly question!

I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes, when the pecking order changes, it can lead to an upset in the flock. If you had no rooster, then she would have been their leaders and protector. Is there any chance she ran into something when surprised by a predator? This could lead to them being nervous.
They should adjust after a few days, but they're may be more arguing as they figure out their new pecking order.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reply! I am not sure about a predator scare, we live in an urban area, but I guess it is totally possible! We did see a raccoon around a few weeks ago, but haven't seen it since. The other hens are very out of sorts, but hopefully they get things settled in the next little bit. One hen is very vocal! On a happy note, we did get our first egg today!

Thanks for the reply! I am not sure about a predator scare, we live in an urban area, but I guess it is totally possible! We did see a raccoon around a few weeks ago, but haven't seen it since. The other hens are very out of sorts, but hopefully they get things settled in the next little bit. One hen is very vocal! On a happy note, we did get our first egg today!

Congrats on the egg!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom