Helping the Swedish Flower Hen

Name Mature Roosters Mature Hens (Laying) Imature Birds
Bulldogma 1 3 3+
Bernie56 4 16
CathieSue 2 2 7
jbarrett 21

Thanks guys now I gotta get more attention to this page! I also need to know for sure who wants to be part of the breeding program? Also we all need to work on getting a SOP set up, some dont want this myself included, maily because the Swedish Flower is a landrace breed and was developed over time and can come out with so much variation...but to get fully accepted by APA we have to have this, my thinkings are that if we just make notes on color pattern, body type (shape), wings (NO SPLIT) it will allow us all to breed these birds and head for a more perfect bird so we can say this is what the SFH looks like and then give a list of all the known colors! and then they will add to it as new colors are discovered/developed!
Thanks All Justin

OK - everyone who has a camera, Swedish Flower Hens and a little time -

I need everyone to take pictures of your birds from the top, the side, the front and the back (the last 3 from ground level - put your bird on a table if you have a bad back to do this... or lay on the cold hard ground like I do.)

Examples of angles I need:

(Need shots from the front also.)

And I need both mature roosters and hens.

I'll take all these photos and find the most common traits and record them in both written form and through illustration.

Post them here if it's OK with jbarrett, or PM them to me.

And a start - this is from the Swedish description of the breed:

Body shape is round and robust (I have noticed the rooster's back is broad and flat)
Color characterized by a wide range of base colors with white feather tips
(Black, Blue (gray), red/orange, brown)
Translation from Swedish site: “The primer can go in black, brown, off-white, red or yellow with a speckle caused by the white dots at the tip of the springs. There are also chickens that are gray-blue with gold colored collar, bright white-gray to blue-gray or tan collar and all-black hens.”
Single, serrated comb
Some SFH are crested – tassels or whole cap – crest is not so large as to impede the bird’s vision.
Un-feathered, Light tan to yellow legs (may start out pink or gray as chicks). skin-colored, yellow or black mottled
Weight 2 to 2.5 (4 lbs 6 oz - 5 lbs 8 oz) hen, rooster 2.5-3.5 kg.
(5 lbs 8 oz - 7 lbs 11 oz)

OK - everyone who has a camera, Swedish Flower Hens and a little time -

I need everyone to take pictures of your birds from the top, the side, the front and the back (the last 3 from ground level - put your bird on a table if you have a bad back to do this... or lay on the cold hard ground like I do.)

Examples of angles I need:

(Need shots from the front also.)

And I need both mature roosters and hens.

I'll take all these photos and find the most common traits and record them in both written form and through illustration.

Post them here if it's OK with jbarrett, or PM them to me.

And a start - this is from the Swedish description of the breed:

Body shape is round and robust (I have noticed the rooster's back is broad and flat)
Color characterized by a wide range of base colors with white feather tips
(Black, Blue (gray), red/orange, brown)
Translation from Swedish site: “The primer can go in black, brown, off-white, red or yellow with a speckle caused by the white dots at the tip of the springs. There are also chickens that are gray-blue with gold colored collar, bright white-gray to blue-gray or tan collar and all-black hens.”
Single, serrated comb
Some SFH are crested – tassels or whole cap – crest is not so large as to impede the bird’s vision.
Un-feathered, Light tan to yellow legs (may start out pink or gray as chicks). skin-colored, yellow or black mottled
Weight 2 to 2.5 (4 lbs 6 oz - 5 lbs 8 oz) hen, rooster 2.5-3.5 kg.
(5 lbs 8 oz - 7 lbs 11 oz)
Awesome!! Lets do post them here to show them all off!!!! Thanks you are really helping me out!

Name Mature Roosters Mature Hens (Laying) Imature Birds
Bulldogma 1 3 3+
Bernie56 4 16
CathieSue 2 2 7
jbarrett 21
frizzled pink 1 2 1
MaryRuthLangdon 2 5 6
KYTinpusher 2 8 12
I hope it doesn't make any difference that they are mature hens but AREN"T laying!
he.gif
lol.png

I'll get out there tomorrow if it's not too windy. It's been crazy windy here the past 2 days, so windy it knocks the birds around a bit. I do know on thursday it's supposed to be warmer & back in the 60's. hopefully it won't be windy. I'm so sick of this crazy wind! You only need mature birds??

Back
Top Bottom