HELPP? duck with one eye closed and the other open???!?!?!?

ForeverChickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Okay my duck hatched over 24 hours ago, she hatch with both eyes open. But now she's keeping one closed. She can still open the eye, but its like she doesnt want to I tried puting warm water over her eye with a q-tip, but it didn't help, please what do I do????

Okay my duck hatched over 24 hours ago, she hatch with both eyes open. But now she's keeping one closed. She can still open the eye, but its like she doesn't want to I tried putting warm water over her eye with a q-tip, but it didn't help, please what do I do????
What kind of bedding do you have her own? could she have gotten some dust in the eye? is their drainage or sticky matter? if not maybe just give her a few days and once she is eating and drinking she'll start dunking her head and it will clear up on it's own. you could try an eye ointment like Terrimycin but if she isn't showing any drainage etc then i think I'd just do a bit of waiting. What type of water er do you plan on using, it needs to be deep enough ducklings can dunk their heads for washing but can't climb into and possibly drown. And

welcome-byc.gif

I use newspaper and paper towels over it so they don't slip and slide around once their older were gonna use pine shavings. But its weird sometimes he/she will open her (him?) Eye, and other times (most times) the duckie keeps its eye closed. Its very strange. I use tap water, they can get their beak in the water completely but not their head. Uh any other suggestions on what I could use for their water? I use a chicken water thingie (I mainly hatch chickens, first time with ducks but it looked like it was working) uh

I use newspaper and paper towels over it so they don't slip and slide around once their older were gonna use pine shavings. But its weird sometimes he/she will open her (him?) Eye, and other times (most times) the duckie keeps its eye closed. Its very strange. I use tap water, they can get their beak in the water completely but not their head. Uh any other suggestions on what I could use for their water? I use a chicken water thingie (I mainly hatch chickens, first time with ducks but it looked like it was working) uh
Heres a handy waterer thats cheap to make and works really well. and maybe put some ACV into ther water it's got proprities that can help with inflamation and is good for them to drink to.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer/10
ACV 1 tab to 1 gal of water.

Back
Top Bottom