HELPPPPPP!!!

Got_The_Chick_Itch

Songster
6 Years
Mar 5, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Rhode Island red hen that is laying down and won’t get up and her comb is turning blue so I’m thinking she has some sort of heart failure or circulation issue what should I do?

First you'll need to physically examine her, every little thing counts from the top of her head to the bottoms of her feet. You'll be looking for injuries, swelling, excessive heat, scabs, external parasites, etc. Examine her face, eyes and nares, anything bubbling or wet? How does her breathing sound? Is she opening/closing her beak, as if gulping air?

When did SHE lay her last egg? How old is she? Is she legit Rhode Island Red or is she a 'production red' bred specifically to lay large eggs and to lay more frequently at the expense of her lifespan. These and the questions asked by @Eggcessive will help to narrow down suspected problems.

How is the weather and heat? Can you try getting her to drink some water from a lid or small container? She could be dehydrated, although heart failure may be a problem. Chicken feed made wet with water can be good to offer. Can you post any pictures of her and her comb?

How is the weather and heat? Can you try getting her to drink some water from a lid or small container? She could be dehydrated, although heart failure may be a problem. Chicken feed made wet with water can be good to offer. Can you post any pictures of her and her comb?
It’s 80°,I will try to get her to drink

First you'll need to physically examine her, every little thing counts from the top of her head to the bottoms of her feet. You'll be looking for injuries, swelling, excessive heat, scabs, external parasites, etc. Examine her face, eyes and nares, anything bubbling or wet? How does her breathing sound? Is she opening/closing her beak, as if gulping air?

When did SHE lay her last egg? How old is she? Is she legit Rhode Island Red or is she a 'production red' bred specifically to lay large eggs and to lay more frequently at the expense of her lifespan. These and the questions asked by @Eggcessive will help to narrow down suspected problems.
She doesn’t have any other physical signs except for the comb, Being somewhat lethargic and her not wanting to get up and she only gulps for air when you try to move her like she’s trying to make some sort of noise and I am not sure when she laid her last egg because she’s in a coop with other chickens and she is a legit Rhode Island Red, she’s five years old

I have given her normal water and sugar water, she is balancing herself on her own instead of just laying over on her side and she is eating and drinking by herself now

My girls gulp for air when I pick them up too, so that seems totally normal to me. Is her vent moist or dry? Moist vent = an actively laying hen, dry means it's been awhile since she's laid.
I'm glad to hear that she's a legit RIR as those others have a very short lifespan and are rife with reproductive (and other) issues.
Being lethargic at all is cause for concern as chickens do their absolute best to hide any form of illness, injury or discomfort. That she's allowing you and the flock to see her weakness means she's quite ill.
Will she eat canned tuna or cat food? Either would provide a huge protein boost and moisture.
Drip water off of your fingertips onto the top of her beak, as it rolls down her beak, she ought to instinctively swallow it.

Back
Top Bottom