Hemaphrodite Khaki Campbell?

RRBB

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
So we have 2 khaki campbell females, they are about 7 months old. The bigger one (noodles) lays an egg nearly every day, but the other one (Cake) has only layed a soft egg maybe 3 weeks ago, it was really gross and seemed like it had mucousy stuff around it.. I've also noticed that nearly every day they are mating in the pond and cake goes on top of noodles and puts her tail around (when the drake usually places the sperm) and everything. Is it possible that she could be a hemaphrodite? (cake doesn't look male at all she is completely brown and VERY noisy)

Are you absolutely sure Cake was the one who laid that egg?

Hermaphrodites or intersexed animals are a possibility but somewhat remote. You should be able to vent sex Cake but only separation would tell you for sure if Cake is laying, and only incubating Noodles' eggs will tell you for sure if Cake is fertile as a male.

I think it's possible Cake has an endocrine imbalance, or is perhaps a slow-showing male.

Best wishes, and also hello, and
welcome-byc.gif

Ducks will play hop on top. That is just something they seem to enjoy doing. My all-girl runner flock enjoy that. With them, it appears to have nothing to do with dominance, and everything to do with fun.

Ducks will play hop on top. That is just something they seem to enjoy doing. My all-girl runner flock enjoy that. With them, it appears to have nothing to do with dominance, and everything to do with fun.

Bit like role playing maybe? I've seen baby turkeys do the same thing, two babies taking turns to enact the male and female role, complete with mating, once they finish mating they immediately switch roles. Got nothing to do with gender. My Isabrown hens always liked to mate with the bantam hens, it really has nothing to do with dominance, I agree. I think that perception is a copy-paste error directly taken from dogs, and even with dogs I don't think it's always intended the way the humans interpret it.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom