Hemp bedding vs flax pellets vs straw

Bryana2002

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
Hello I just got 8 adult drakes. They are in a shed I converted into a coop at night and free range in the yard during the day. Trying to find the best bedding that is the least amount of mess and work. Currently have a mix of straw and hemp but heard that’s going to turn disgusting quickly. All hemp is way too expensive but I was told maybe use pine pellets under the hemp but I am allergic to pine. Found flax bedding and pellets. Anyone tried those or a combo with the hemp? Also how often should I be turning the bedding and then also changing it out? And how deep a layer? Thanks!!

An all drake flock, @Bryana2002 you are a person after my own heart!!! Are they rescues?

i dont have advice on bedding as I use pine shavings and occasionally bales of pine straw that keep my boys warm in the winter but which get trampled down into the pineshavings over time. I dig my deep layer beddibg out when it is 12-14 inches deep

Last edited:
They are! A sanctuary was having neighbor issues and having to rehome a bunch of their animals so we took some. Still working on getting them settled and to chill out because they’re figuring out the pecking order still haha 2 jumbo pekins and 6 rouens.

I’ve looked into aspen shavings as well instead of pine. Do you turn the bedding or just let it settle and then clean it all out?

They are! A sanctuary was having neighbor issues and having to rehome a bunch of their animals so we took some. Still working on getting them settled and to chill out because they’re figuring out the pecking order still haha 2 jumbo pekins and 6 rouens.

I’ve looked into aspen shavings as well instead of pine. Do you turn the bedding or just let it settle and then clean it all out?
I do not turn the bedding: i just let it settle and begin to compost. The heat from the composting keeps the ducks warm in winter. I dont know about aspen shavings. I just know we shouldn't use cedar shavings, which is sad as they smell nice.

Mine are rescues, too. I rescue, rehab and release wild ducks, but rehome domestic ducks including most muscovy that cannot be released to the wild. My current 4 drakes are a special needs crested pekin and 3 muscovy. Two of the muscovy were feral, rescued as small ducklings and one is a white domestic muscovy that was being ostracized by his clutch mates. Essentially there were two drakes and not enough females. So he came to join my boys. They are my pets and I am not looking to rehome them, but others come through my care and are rehomed.

I do not turn the bedding: i just let it settle and begin to compost. The heat from the composting keeps the ducks warm in winter. I dont know about aspen shavings. I just know we shouldn't use cedar shavings, which is sad as they smell nice.

Mine are rescues, too. I rescue, rehab and release wild ducks, but rehome domestic ducks including most muscovy that cannot be released to the wild. My current 4 drakes are a special needs crested pekin and 3 muscovy. Two of the muscovy were feral, rescued as small ducklings and one is a white domestic muscovy that was being ostracized by his clutch mates. Essentially there were two drakes and not enough females. So he came to join my boys. They are my pets and I am not looking to rehome them, but others come through my care and are rehomed.
love that! yeah, mine are safe here as long as they live :)

Back
Top Bottom