Hemp bedding

I buy it through New Country Organics in Waynesboro VA (don't know where you live, Lucy-- if you're even in the U.S.!). If you go to their website, you can find resellers in different areas.

I used hemp litter in my brooder and I have 13 chicks in there. In 3 weeks, I have not raked, scooped, or otherwise cleaned the 3' x 6' brooder. It does not smell because the hemp is so absorbent. (That's especially important to me because my brooder is in the house.)

The chicks pick up pieces of the hemp in their beaks and sometimes squabble over it. But I haven't seen them actually ingest it. The chicks have been on this litter since day one and they are all doing quite well. It's worth noting that hemp litter is made from stalks and stems which are harvested well before the plant sets buds. These plant materials are not toxic, poisonous, or hallucinatory. That is the only way they got approved for sale in ALL 50 states. It's just clean, safe litter.

The only issue I have had was when the chicks were really small. The hemp can have some clumps of fine fiber which a few chicks managed to scratch to the surface and it stuck to their feet. At that age, they didn't have the balance/coordination to remove it so I had to do it for them. In hindsight, I would have hand-sifted through the litter prior to putting it in the brooder to remove those clumps of fiber.

US legislation is a bit restrictive when it comes to hemp, in some states it's legal to grow it, but I think you might have trouble finding it over there.
Vehve - Hemp has never been illegal to own use or sell in the USA, never but of course there was/is restrictions on growing. it's easy to find I found a group online that sells it in 1-33 lb bags (15Kgs/33lbs) price is coming down too. delivered to our door each month - http://hemp-solutions.org/store/ANIMAL-BEDDING-c23122023

Hemp Bedding is Antimicrobial and NATURALLY ANTIBACTERIAL that's why it Helps to cut odor and germs. There is no reason to treat Hemp Hurd with anything, period. Some places do use Eucalyptus which is a known dissuader for cralers like insects. NO ADDITIVES are necessary for HEMP Period!

I hear they're partnering with a Permaculture Farm in the area between they\ir Grand Rapids HQ & Chicago. Apparent;ly distributors are in Place all over and new ones for WA/OR/HI & CA things are happening, demand will bring others into it and pricess will come down further when it can be processed in the US, it's grown but not processed here for this reason ...yet

I hear they're partnering with a Permaculture Farm in the area between they\ir Grand Rapids HQ & Chicago. Apparently distributors are in Place all over and new ones for WA/OR/HI & CA things are happening, demand will bring others into it and pricess will come down further when it can be processed in the US, it's grown but not processed here for this reason ...yet

Back
Top Bottom