Hemroids

CalgaryFarmer

Songster
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Just outside Calgary, Alberta
One of my hens seems to have hemroids. She is one years old and is an RIR. There is some of it hanging out. Not much. I can push it in but it comes out again. I think she is still laying. I have isolated her. So we will see.

She seems otherwise happy and active. Her comb is fairly red. She seems to have quite a bit of diareha which is white. A fair bit gets caked on her bottom. I soaked her in warm water today to get rid of it.

Can you post a picture of her vent? Her vent may be very relaxed or she could have a mild prolapse. As long as you can easily push it back inside it may not be a problem. Prolapsed vent or cloaca can become serious if it protrudes out, and gets stuck, which can sometimes happen with egg binding or laying too large of eggs that damage the vent.Honey or hemorrhoid cream can shrink the tissue if it does become prolapsed. Here is some info on prolapse:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
vent+c.jpg

mild prolapse (photo by armorfirelady)

102692_iphone_6811_499.jpg

severe prolapse

You should try and push the red tissue back inside, and keep it from drying out by keeping honey or hemorrhoid cream on it. If the tissue dries out it will turn black and die. Her chances of survival depend on if you can get the red tissue to stay inside, and if there is no dead tissue on the outside. Prolapse takes a few days of treatment normally, bathing the prolapse daily, and making sure that she can pass droppings. If there is an egg blocking the vent, it needs to come out. To prevent laying, she needs to be kept in a dark cage 16 hours every night at least for a few days. Prolapse can happen again, but some hens recover well. Some may not recover, and may need to be put down.

Both work-- use whatever you have. The sugars in honey will reduce swelling, while drugs in Preparation H will shrink the tissue. Honey is supposed to have antibiotic properties as well.

Back
Top Bottom