1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hen abandoned nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msmandyjo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. msmandyjo

msmandyjo New Egg

Sep 7, 2015
    I was going to let my girls hatch some eggs, and figured Mother Nature would know better than I.
    I had a hen sit for a few days, and then she abandoned the nest. I got sick, and my husband didn't think to gather the eggs. When I went out yesterday, I discovered a few broken eggs and 33 intact eggs in the nest. They were covered in yolk, and abandoned, so I brought them in, and rinsed them off.

Today, I went out, and the hen was back in her nest, and wouldn't let me see if she had anything. She was quite rude about it, so i assume she is going broody again.

What do I do with the 33 eggs? Should I give them back to her? I'm afraid some might have started developing, but I'm not sure. Would they be viable? How can I tell?

Id prefer to eat them, if they are still fresh, but I don't want to crack into them and find a half formed chick

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Please discard those eggs, they won't hatch are could be unsafe to eat. It's not worth getting sick for a few eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by