Hen acting like a rooster attacking hen

Chickie3momma

In the Brooder
May 22, 2021
My hen is suddenly being aggressive with one of my hens. If she sees her she will make clucking noises and the other hen will move away. Or she will just pick a fight and even when it’s time for bed the hen will be laying and my hen will just start attacking her. I don’t know what to do. She also is kinda acting like a rooster but no mounting the hens just fighting. 😥

I have three total and they are 3 years old in April. She is laying and last year she went broody like 3/4 times. They have been together since babies

She may be suffering for a reproductive issue that's messing with her hormones
is there anything I can do? My other hens are scared of her now. They are in a run my neighbor has free range chickens so my girls don’t free range often. The hen also has recently been scratching a lot more than usual

is there anything I can do? My other hens are scared of her now. They are in a run my neighbor has free range chickens so my girls don’t free range often. The hen also has recently been scratching a lot more than usual
Not unless you know for sure, I think. Unfortunately, this can be a sign of reproductive infection or cancer.

The hen also has recently been scratching a lot more than usual
The one attacking or the target?
Better check for bugs.
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom