Hen acting weird

Ahonahome1018

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2018
Hello I need some advice on one of my bantam hens. Day before yesterday I let my bantam flock out of their coop to get some outside time. It wasn't very cold, but kind of windy and the sun was shining, needless to say I got busy doing other things and got them in kind of later than usual. By that time it had gotten very cold and very windy but it wasn't dark yet. They'd been outside for about 2 or 3 hours. When I got them in their coop I noticed one of my hens was acting strangely, "gasping" (opening her beak to breathe and extending her neck as she did), not moving around much and she was fluffed up, she keeps one eye almost closed. Her feet were also very cold, I got her warmed up and still as of today she's still acting the same. Hasn't been around any other sick birds and happy and healthy before I let them out. I'm hoping someone knows what's going on with her. Any ideas would be very appreciated.

It's unlikely to be the cold. Chickens can and will quite happily run around in the snow in below freezing temperatures. It's more likely that she ate something she shouldn't have and has something stuck in her throat or got into a fight with something that hurt her. Can you post a video and/or closeup photos of her and her eye?

I have a picture I can post, taken just a few minutes ago. I don't see anything wound wise with her eye but she does now hold her head to the side that has the half closed eye. She continually holds her beak open like she can't breathe and she eats and drinks but it's with difficulty. She also takes small steps. The coop I have them in is very predator proofed as these guys are so small they can fit in my hand. She was in there with 2 other chickens, her sister and a rooster that's just a tiny bit bigger than them. Never had a problem with fights or picking that I'm aware of.

Attachments

• 20181207_103219.jpg
    20181207_103219.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 6
KittyKat3756 If it's something she ate or that's stuck in her throat is there anyway to help her move it along so she turn's out okay? I feed all natural non-gmo feed. Just started everyone on it well over a week ago, I have older standard size hen's, pullets and the three little ones.

How does her crop feel? Liquid? Solid? Full? Empty?

I think it's most likely that she may have something stuck in her airway.
Last night her crop felt, I would say liquid and I just checked again and it's about the same. Not empty, it's got a little mass to it.

KittyKat3756 The feed and treats do have whole dried corn in it, for the little ones I try to pick out the big pieces but maybe I missed one and that's what stuck?

Take her to the vet, something is probably lodged in her airway. You need to get it out asap. Look down her throat and see if you can see anything, if not you still want to take her to the vet

Cailey's_Chickens I set up an app with her vet yesterday, the only problem is that they aren't open on weekends and they scheduled her for Monday at 4:30 pm. They were completely booked today. I had a hunch last night and my sister and I opened her beak to look, I didn't see anything. She did have liquid/saliva a bit farther down in her throat so maybe that masked it but I agree with both you and KittyKat3756. Would it be safe to rub her neck to move it up so I can grab it with the tweezers?

Back
Top Bottom