Hen afraid of her own flock?

Kathrynben

Hatching
Feb 20, 2021
So, I've got a year and a half year old Rhode Island that was recently hurt. Big chunk of her skin was torn off by the spurs on our rooster. We took her inside for a little to let her heal, and now that she has healed we were putting her back. Problem is, when we put her outside: she got so scared of her own flock that she jumped on our heads to get away from them. Now, I thought this was crazy since she was hatched with them and hasn't ever been separated until now. She is DEATHLY afraid of her own flock and I think she will go through dangerous lengths to get away from them (jumping into the dog pen we have and killing herself). What do I do about this?

Well, the rooster, AKA - flock protector, DID try to kill her... in her mind.
I would confine her to a very large wire dog crate or section off a corner of the coop with fencing and put bedding, food and water with her so she can be reintegrated to the flock without feeling so threatened. Make sure you set it up so that none of the flock members can touch her and set her up in a corner so she doesn't feel like she can't retreat to a solid wall and worry about a bird coming up behind her. I would keep her here for a minimum of two weeks to let her settle down with the flock around her.
Watch the behavior of the other birds as they interact with her over her "look don't touch" confinement. If one bird seems to be kind to her, try putting that bird in with her and then watch very closely for a bad reaction from either of them. If they get along, leave the second bird in with her for 4 to 5 days before letting them both out to mingle with the flock.
How many birds do you have?
What size is your coop?
Do they have a run, pen or free range when not in the coop?
What have you done about the roosters spurs so he doesn't repeat this with another hen?
Have you examined the other hens for damage?

Well, the rooster, AKA - flock protector, DID try to kill her... in her mind.
I would confine her to a very large wire dog crate or section off a corner of the coop with fencing and put bedding, food and water with her so she can be reintegrated to the flock without feeling so threatened. Make sure you set it up so that none of the flock members can touch her and set her up in a corner so she doesn't feel like she can't retreat to a solid wall and worry about a bird coming up behind her. I would keep her here for a minimum of two weeks to let her settle down with the flock around her.
Watch the behavior of the other birds as they interact with her over her "look don't touch" confinement. If one bird seems to be kind to her, try putting that bird in with her and then watch very closely for a bad reaction from either of them. If they get along, leave the second bird in with her for 4 to 5 days before letting them both out to mingle with the flock.
How many birds do you have?
What size is your coop?
Do they have a run, pen or free range when not in the coop?
What have you done about the roosters spurs so he doesn't repeat this with another hen?
Have you examined the other hens for damage?
We have free-range chickens, they go in a large shed at night and are released in the morning. We currently have 22 birds and are unsure what to do about the roosters spurs. The rooster is pulling our other hens' feathers out when mating, but none have ever ripped the skin until this girl got hurt.

We have free-range chickens, they go in a large shed at night and are released in the morning. We currently have 22 birds and are unsure what to do about the roosters spurs. The rooster is pulling our other hens' feathers out when mating, but none have ever ripped the skin until this girl got hurt.
They need to be trimmed and blunted.
There are many videos on different methods to shorten spurs. You should isolate him from the flock until you deal with the spurs.

Back
Top Bottom