1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Aggression

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Juliana of San Marcos CA, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Juliana of San Marcos CA

Juliana of San Marcos CA New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    OMW! My babies are 3 months old, and I have 5 girls and a rooster. Tonight we heard horrible noises coming from the coop. The girls had the him pinned in the corner and they wouldn't leave him alone. What do I do? Do I have to separate him? Is it nutritional deficiency that causes them to turn. If I separate them, will they just turn on someone else? Can I leave him in there and hope they figure it out? Do I have to get rid of him? Here is the irony . . . his name is Dinner . . . . We are first time parents, and I am mortified they aren't playing nice. Help!

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I would suggest that you observe to see what is starting it. Is the roo smaller than the rest? You may have to isolate him temporarily. Maybe someone else on here knows what to do. I would think it odd that the roo would be on the bottom of the pecking order, but I guess it happens.[​IMG]

3. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    you may have to bring in a new roo. Sometimes the females reject him or determine he isn't "Worthy" of being their leader, in my experience.

also some hens are just aggressive that way. I have hens that beat up my poor roosters all the time. You may need to give them more space.. If they feel crowded they will bicker. Also sometimes time will settle things. Sometimes the hens are just testing him and seeing what they can get away with. If he can't become dominate though, then he will always be at the bottom.

4. Juliana of San Marcos CA

Juliana of San Marcos CA New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    I called our feed store, and our dear friend and fellow chicken lover said that this is pretty normal at around 4 months. She said that they would sort it out and some of this is growing pains. They won't kill him. They have to set boundaries. I am sad. I want my babies to play nicely. We put him back in, and they seem to be doing OK. He is staying high and away. When I let them out to the garden, the girls all stayed together, and Dinner was on the other side. It's like watching your child get bullied! Abby also said that as they work their stuff out, I can expect them to settle down. I should expect the occasional chicken squabbles. It's so hard being a mom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by