Hen aggressive with child

Thank you everyone for your help! I think we’ve come to a decision that Petunia needs to go. I’d hate for Koralie to become afraid of chickens because of her, or much worse, to get hurt.

It’s not food related. Our chickens are fed from a self serve feeder in their run. The behavior only started when my daughter tried to start petting her. Thanks for your help though.

This should come out in first post. Petting to chickens is more often than not interpreted as aggression. I expend considerable effort directing people to touch chicken on the side with back of hand with strokes following grain of feathers. Small kids can learn concept, but hen may be holding a grudge.

This should come out in first post. Petting to chickens is more often than not interpreted as aggression. I expend considerable effort directing people to touch chicken on the side with back of hand with strokes following grain of feathers. Small kids can learn concept, but hen may be holding a grudge.
Please note that I said “tried to start petting her” which means her walking toward the flock, chattering, and stretching her arm out. She’s never actually touched this hen. She has however, touched our sweet Easter Egger hens very appropriately because we are always there to supervise and show her how to pet them and be gentle. She is very respectful and appropriate with the hens, and this is also not the issue. Thank you for your concern, but I think we have the information we need to make a good decision.

Back
Top Bottom