Hen and chicks question.

crazyhen

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
mtns of ,NC.
I have a broody hen that has hatched and reared six chicks. They are between 3 and 4 weeks old. They are eating well, etc. This morning I realized the hen is no longer broody and is laying again. Should I take her out and put her with the flock? Or should I let her stay with the chicks longer. She looks a bit restless. The area where the chicks are is about as secure as can be made. They have a floored in coop with hardware cloth windows. the attached run is hardware clothed bottom and all around. It has a deep sand floor over the hardware cloth. What would you do? It is very warm during the day around 88 or so and drops to 68 or 70 at night. the coop retains heat at night pretty well. I don't think they would need a light. Thanks Gloria Jean

I have kept my hen with the chicks but I too have noticed she is more restless but the chicks still hang out with her. Mine are nearly 6 weeks old. She still protects them from the other hens. They are very concerned when I let her range with the other chickens and peep loud protests. I am a little afraid to let them out alone since there are a lot of cats checking them out but soon they will get moved to their own little coop to finish growing and Momma is returning to the flock this week.
Caroline

34919_babychicks05102010_010.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Thanks so much . I will move her out next week if I can. I would like to keep them together until they have just a bit more feathers. Out she comes and I start playing with them more. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom