Hen and Duck eggs together?

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
I have a hen who has become broody for the second year running. Last year we got 4 hatch out of 6 eggs the last two fully formed but not hatched.

This year we put 6 Maran eggs under her ordered from the mail. Then our friend who gave us last years eggs gave us 4 more and 2 Duck eggs. These are Ailsbury and as far as I know have a 28 day gustation. The chicks are due hatched on Tusday so I am worried she wont stay on the nest and hatch the Ducks as they are not due untill the following week at the earliest. Though I have heard of a rolling brood I am not sure how that works???

Anyone done this before???? We are not sure if the duck eggs are viable but the Hens eggs have been last year from that sourse. So Mail order eggs and the Duck eggs have a big? over viability as we don;t know if mr Duck is actually a mr Duck or if he has done his bit? - Mother Hen is very very protective and you cannot put your hand near her right now. All Eggs are under her and all in tact and all very warm as she is a large Maran hen and very motherly.

Your hen will more than likely get off the nest on day 2 or 3 to tend to the chicks that have hatched and will abandon the rest. Some hens stay on the nest longer. If you confine her to the area, and provide food and water in front of her she may stay a few days longer, but probably not long enough to hatch the rest. You will need an incubator or another broody hen to take over.

Thanks I think I will try to find info on the rolling brood but also have the incubator up and running too?

Back
Top Bottom