hen and roo behavior has me scratching my head...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bkreugar, Sep 25, 2009.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    So I have 28 chickens that free range most of the day.I have 2 adult roos and 5 young roos. The top roo is a black bantum roo.ALL the the other guys are afraid of him.

Anyway when I was walking by giving my horses hay, he was facing off with a young roo.Hackles out face off leaping the whole shebang.

Then my #2 hen comes in and PECKS my top roo and breaks up the fight.have you ever seen this behavior before? I was suprised to see the hens intervening AT ALL!

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    "Ow! Yes dear!" Whatever the answer to your question might be, I have to say, that's a cute mental picture. Poor guy's "henpecked"!

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours do that all the time. It is usually our lead hen that will step in like she is telling the boys it is time to grow up and settle down.

4. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Only "henpecking" I've seen is when my top roo (also a bantam) was pecked by his bantam girlfriend when he tried-unsuccessfully-to mount a standard hen. He may have been more capable but his little girlfriend wouldn't allow it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by