Hen as a hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Aug 29, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I've got a broody hen and a few days ago I put eggs under her that are due to hatch on the 2nd. Can I hatch a few batches under this one hen? I can manage to get the eggs incubated to day 14 and even 18 with no problems, but I can't get many to hatch. If you read my other posts you can see what I've been going through. It appears that I'm doing everything right, but my hatch rate is tremendously low. I'm hoping my broody can do it better. Several times. Has anyone ever tried this?

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Depending on how long she's been broody, she may or may not accept this batch of eggs you gave her. If she does, she'll be done being broody for a while. If she doesn't you might have to rescue them and raise them yourself. Unless you have another batch ready to hatch in a matter of a week or so after this batch, ( wouldn't try and get your broody to cover both hatches, she may give up (even if you take away the babies) and you'll be every bit as bad off as you started--besides, being broody is hard on them.

I wish you luck, I've incubated well over a hundred--probably pushing 150 eggs this summer and finally had my first hatch this week--1 egg out of 34. *sigh*

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I've had hens hatch 3 batches in a row & they would have kept setting if I'd had more to put under them. Results will vary from hen to hen of course. Some will quit before they've completed 1 hatch.

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I agree, some of my oegb hens have been broody all summer. It does depend on the hen. I have been using mine for guinea eggs. Sometimes I forget to take the eggs away to put in incubator for the hatch in time and a few hatch under the hen. I take them away and they just go right back to being broody again. The only problem is if you are putting them under the hen at day 14 or later and your temps were way off, the damage might have already been done and could not be corrected by giving to a broody at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by