Hen ate a bread tie! What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by edanddebra, Nov 18, 2011.

1. edanddebra

edanddebra New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    I accidentally dropped a bread tie in the run and my 8 month old buff Orpington, Phoebe, ate it before I could stop her! What will happen? What should I do? Will she be o.k.? I am pretty new to keeping chickens so any advice will be helpful.
    Thank you!

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I don't know much about this, but I think she'll be fine. After all, they do eat grit and stuff. I'm just worried about the stuff in the tie...

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Give her a pet and put it from your mind [​IMG] A chicken's crop is incredibly resilient. Where I used to live, our landlord kept battered old cars in our yard (classy right?). There were little cubes of glass on the ground from shattered car windows. Well, I did an autopsy on one of my hens (peritonitis) and opened her crop out of curiousity. She had rocks, glass, bits of metal... all sorts of rubbish in there! It's incredible how tough that little organ is.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Really there's not much you can do. I'm sure my chickens have eaten bits of metal or glass before, since they free range often - and we're always doing construction type jobs (we try to pick up everything, but...). Most likely nothing will come of it. I'm not sure whether it'd stay in the crop/gizzard or whether it'll come out, but I doubt your hen will see any ill affects.

5. edanddebra

edanddebra New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    Oh! Thank you so much everyone for all your advice! I feel so much better now. My little daughter, Lily, loves Phoebe (and so do I!) so much and we were so worried. We are so glad to hear your stories and hope that she will be fine.
    Thank you!

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    We butchered three roosters this spring. I opend the gizzard of one, out of curiosity, and found a screw in there.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This too shall pass.

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    [​IMG]

And true, have seen some wild things in chicken gizzards.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by