Hen Ate a thumb tack!!!

They do that. It may pass. It's a pretty acidic environment in there and as long as it makes it to the gizzard, it may dissolve. It could get stuck in the crop or proventriculous or anywhere along the way.

I'd just wait. There's not really anything you can do other than an x-ray and major surgery.

I butchered chickens that had eaten glass. It made it all the way to the gizzard but not affected by the acidity, it just lodged there and cut the inner membrane. They didn't suffer much but those were young birds. A hen probably would have long term problems with glass but a tack might not be a problem.

They do that. It may pass. It's a pretty acidic environment in there and as long as it makes it to the gizzard, it may dissolve. It could get stuck in the crop or proventriculous or anywhere along the way.

I'd just wait. There's not really anything you can do other than an x-ray and major surgery.

I butchered chickens that had eaten glass. It made it all the way to the gizzard but not affected by the acidity, it just lodged there and cut the inner membrane. They didn't suffer much but those were young birds. A hen probably would have long term problems with glass but a tack might not be a problem.

Thank you for your response and reassurance. I'm new to owning chickens and worry about them since they are also my pets. I will keep an eye on her for sure :)

There are a couple of posts on here about hens swallowing earrings stolen from owners pierced ears. There were never any follow-up posts that stated their hen died. I have also butchered chickens that had screws, nuts, small bolts, pieces of pottery, pieces of wire, pieces of plastic a rubber band, and glass. All ground smooth from the action of the crop. If she is going to have problems, she will have them soon, i would think. Good luck to your hen!

Back
Top Bottom