Hen attack peeper...what should I do?

farmgirl2477

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2007
Oviedo, FL
A hen got to a newborn chick today. It looked like the fluff was pulled off its head leaving bloody raw spots on the of its head. I brought it in immedietly dabbed lightly with bactine and placed it in a box under a light with a stuffed ducky. Its now about 12 hours old. Still has some pretty good strength in it too. What else can I do for it? How long before I need to get it to eat and drink?

Thanks,
Shannon

Sounds like you did the right thing....Go ahead and put a water dish in there, with pebbles in it...and offer feed. Just wathc...it wont 'need" to eat for another 24 to 48 hrs....I sprinkled the feed on the floor..and tapped it with my finger....my new hatchlings would come over to see what I was tapping, and the started eating. Good luck with you new baby...and watch momma, that she doesnt do this to all the babies!!

A chick can do up to 72 hours without food. But by tomorrow morning I would take a shallow dish (jar lid) with some water and put it in with the chick. Take the little peeper and dip his/her beek in it so it knows where water is. After about 4-6 hours sprinkle some chick starter on the bottom of the container you are using. That normally is enough to get them going.

Back
Top Bottom