HEN ATTACK

djcram

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
My chickens were attacked by our neighbors dog the other day. We lost one and another was injured with puncture wounds, bruising and injured leg. Definitely not herself since. Today she had some bright yellow, little white, watery stool and I am worried she has internal injury/infection. The rooster and other hen are fine - normal poop. is this a sign of kidney failure or egg bound..... she was my only layer consistently before this incident.
IMG_9280.jpeg

Has she laid any eggs since the attack? That yellow in the dropping looks a bit like egg yolk material. It is hard to know for sure, but she may have some damage to her oviduct. I had a hen who laid big eggs each day, and after she was injured by a neighbor’s dog, she stopped laying for several months. Then when she started laying again, the eggs were always rubber or very thinned shelled. The eggs were always broken and eaten by others.

You may want to seek vet care, or treat her with an antibiotic such as Fish Mox (amoxicillin) which sometimes is in feed stores and always online. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 7-10 days. For wounds I would use Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) found in pharmacies and follow directions. Apply plain antibiotic ointment after cleaning wounds.

Back
Top Bottom