Hen attacked another hen, very torn up hind quarters

TammyGilroy

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Found one hen pecking the heck out of another hen today. This has never happend before, The ladies are a year old and have always gotten along very well. I separated them and sprayed some Blu-Kote on the wounds which were quite deep. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion for how to keep the pecking hen from pecking? I read something about a ring that can be looped thru there nostrils, but also am wondering about a possible poultry mask? I would hate to put her down because she was showing cannibalistic tendencies but will do whatever is necessary to take care of the rest of the flock.

I also put a homemade apron on the injured hen because I noticed that she started to peck at her own wounds. She seems to be doing okay thru out the day as she ate well, and also laid an egg.

Thank you in advance for anyone that responds.

Seems I read something about the causes of Cannibalism recently.. I will look for the info... (pause....)

When you say "hindquarters" in the topic/subject, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean her vent? Or, her back, or upper legs? You isolated her and are keeping her separate, contained, warm, dry, calm, quiet.. the wounded one? Blu-Kote spray is great for any injury... and you are doing good with protecting the wound from her pecking at it herself...

Try the Search.. here on BYC and also a wider search on the Internet for "Cannibalism in Chickens"...

O.K.... "Raising Chickens for Dummies" says -- overcrowding, too many chickens in too small a space (can you free range them, if you don't, or enlarge their run?) -- crowding can be one reason for Cannibalism. Chickens (confined chickens) need fresh food and water available all the time. The more chickens you have the more feeders and waterers you have to have.
Also, "busy work".. throw them a whole head of cabbage to peck at, instead of each other. Alfalfa hay, while more and more expensive, is something that is good for them and they pick and scratch at it, so you just lean a "flake" whole up against the side of the coop for them to peck and scratch at... "busy work". Improper died can cause cannibalism. You need to feed a laying feed... mash, crumbles or pellets, with all the nutrients, protein, calcium and vitamins your chickens need (if you don't already). I also have some Oyster Shell on the side.. and add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water (1 Tablespoon per gallon, max for mine, they don't like more).

Sometimes, very bright lights (in the coop), noise, predators being around, etc, can cause stress and feather picking or cannibalism also.

And, sometimes there are just one or two "aggressive birds" and you need to find a new home for them or .. "freezer camp".

So.. there you go.. that's some of the info in "Raising Chickens for Dummies".....

Best of luck.. You might also get a water soluble antibiotic and add it to the water of the injured hen to prevent infection. (Duramycin 10 / Tetracycline, 1 tsp (or so) per gallon of water.. change at least every 24 hours or more if it gets dirty or dark.

Take care.

Oh, sorry.. also welcome to BYC...
frow.gif

You are talking about pinless peepers. You can order them on-line. In the meantime separate the 2 birds from the flock- the picker and the victim. The victim will need to heal up before she can return to the flock unless the Blukote has completely hidden her wounds. The picker needs to be separated until you can slap some peepers on her.

Thank you all for your reply's. It is greatly appreciated. The victim is doing as well as can be expected, she has stopped picking are her wound thanks to my homemade version of a chicken saddle. My first attempt was a little small, but my second one is a little limiting for her because she is having trouble walking about because of the leg holes that I included to really help sheild the wounds.

I will look for some of the pinless peepers for the picker chicken. She is still alone in the garage and seems to be doing okay but I worry that the longer she is alone the harder it will be to re-introduce her to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom