Hen attacked by dog, smelly wound under wing

gr8fuldylan

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Hello folks,

I've been reading some of the other posts, and I think our girl will make it, except for one post that scared me a little. Our hen was mangled by our dog saturday afternoon, we took her in, put her in a box with some provisions and monitored her. We gave her a warm bath to get all the dog slobber off and irrigated the wound with saline on sunday morning. She's been drinking water, pecking at her feed and gobbled down a hard boiled egg. Of course she's quite bruised, but she's clucking and standing.

This morning we noticed the wound looked worse and smelled a little, even had maggots on it! I went straight to the feed store and got Penicillin for her. We squirted the medicine right into the wound after another irrigation with Peroxide, got all the maggots out. It looks and smells a little better now, anyone have any idea if she'll make it, or how long it will take?

Thanks all, and Abby thanks you,
yippiechickie.gif

G & G

My dog got a hold of my hen a few months ago . I had to clean her wound and put saline iodione from it from Wal -Mart that cost 13.00 ,and keep applying it and keep her in a box . It took a few months for her to get better .She had a big cut under her wing that went down to her leg . She just started laying again . It takes time ,but she will make it .

Last edited:
Thanks Chickeydee,

I like that answer, I don't want her to die, and we're doing everything we can. But some of the information is contradictory. The feed store guy told us to drop the penicillin on her eyeball! It seemed to work, I'll post updates and see if we can get some pics.

G&G, and Abby

Figure out what kind of penicillin you have. Different types of antibiotics need to be administered in different ways to work. Injectable needs to be injected, oral's need to be ingested and so on.

Get all the maggots out and keep an eye on the wound to make sure none come back. Pics might help in figuring out the best course of action.

Thanks everyone,

We just tended to her there is a little bit of black tissue around the wound (that was what scared me in one of the posts I read) but mostly she's just bruised, and the site seems to respond to the peroxide and saline. We have been administering the Pen. on her eyes, but we'll try to inject in the morning. Again, I'll try to get pics.

Thanks again.
G&G and Abby

Back
Top Bottom