hen attacked by dog

Nicole12

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2016

Hi guys im new to thiS and this is a horrible way to introduce myself but my chicken was just attacked by our dog and she dosent look very good any advice would be greatly appreciated i cant get to the shop for any ointments until tommorow
Thankyou

:welcome

I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances :hugs I've just replied on your other thread, fingers crossed she makes it. Keeping infection at bay is going to be the hardest job.

Good luck with her :fl

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
This is very severe and I hope she survives. Keep her under heat right now....80 to 85 degrees. Birds go into shock very easily and shock can kill them faster than the injury. Shock causes great chilling, so keep her warm.

Watch carefully for infection and have some injectable Penicillin G on hand if she starts to shows signs. (you can get this at most feed stores) If she begins eating and drinking by tomorrow but starts to slide backwards in another day or so and stops eating all together, in a couple of days I would start the Pen G injections. You will need to use a 20 gauge needle. Is she a large breed bird? If so, I would get her on 1/2 ml once a day. (1/4 ml for bantams) Inject into muscle only. The breast is the best place for injections. Alternate one day on the right, the next day on the left side of the breast. Medicate her for at least 7 days.

For now, I wouldn't mess with this skin. Let it skin over a bit for today. Then you might use some antibiotic lotion on it. Stay away from Blu-Kote no matter what anyone tells you. Blu-Kote hardens the skin and it will kill her. You want this to remain soft as it heals.

Supportive care goes VERY long distances to save a bird as they heal on their own. They have incredible powers to heal if given the proper hospital set up. So number one keep her very warm. If she chills, she can die. Don't worry about food right now, but she needs to drink water. If you do not know how to tube feed water, dribble a bit down her throat through an eye dropper or even a syringe. Tiny tiny bits at a time so she doesn't aspirate. See if she will eat watermelon. Must birds love the stuff even being incredibly ill. It is all water and this will help keep her hydrated for now.

Keep us posted and keeping my fingers crossed!!
fl.gif

Hi guys im new to thiS and this is a horrible way to introduce myself but my chicken was just attacked by our dog and she dosent look very good any advice would be greatly appreciated i cant get to the shop for any ointments until tommorow
Thankyou

Hello and :welcome
We are glad you joined us!

Oh no! I am so sorry that happened. I have had it happen a lot to me. :hugs
It is going to be really hard not getting that infected. Have you tried in the search bar looking at homemade ointments to treat her with? At least they can prevent it from getting it infected until you can get the real stuff. Hope this helps, and hope you can save her.
CherriesBrood~

Hello everyone thankyou for your replies
Sadly our sweet Rosie passed away lastnight
1f622.png

Oh I so so sorry you lost her.:hugs. I know how hard it is to lose them. I hope your heavy heart heals soon. :hugs

AW no. I was about to offer some advice. She probably died of shock. Otherwise chickens seem to have great recuperative powers. So very sorry for her and you.
hugs.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
This is very severe and I hope she survives. Keep her under heat right now....80 to 85 degrees. Birds go into shock very easily and shock can kill them faster than the injury. Shock causes great chilling, so keep her warm.

Watch carefully for infection and have some injectable Penicillin G on hand if she starts to shows signs. (you can get this at most feed stores) If she begins eating and drinking by tomorrow but starts to slide backwards in another day or so and stops eating all together, in a couple of days I would start the Pen G injections. You will need to use a 20 gauge needle. Is she a large breed bird? If so, I would get her on 1/2 ml once a day. (1/4 ml for bantams) Inject into muscle only. The breast is the best place for injections. Alternate one day on the right, the next day on the left side of the breast. Medicate her for at least 7 days.

For now, I wouldn't mess with this skin. Let it skin over a bit for today. Then you might use some antibiotic lotion on it. Stay away from Blu-Kote no matter what anyone tells you. Blu-Kote hardens the skin and it will kill her. You want this to remain soft as it heals.

Supportive care goes VERY long distances to save a bird as they heal on their own. They have incredible powers to heal if given the proper hospital set up. So number one keep her very warm. If she chills, she can die. Don't worry about food right now, but she needs to drink water. If you do not know how to tube feed water, dribble a bit down her throat through an eye dropper or even a syringe. Tiny tiny bits at a time so she doesn't aspirate. See if she will eat watermelon. Must birds love the stuff even being incredibly ill. It is all water and this will help keep her hydrated for now.

Keep us posted and keeping my fingers crossed!!
fl.gif
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom