hen attacked by dog

greytmommy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Our red laced blue wydonette hen is only about 5mths old. She is alive, but very stressed. She is not bleeding but seems to have a gash on her back and a chunk of missing feathers. She is stressed and panting, but other than the gash seems fine. What should I do to help her? Do I need to put something on the gash? She should survive, right?

It was our dog that grabbed her. :-( our dog usually completely ignores them. I am so upset, and don't know why she went for her.

Sorry to hear about your hen.
If the gash isn't deep I would just clean it out with Peroxide Water. If it is deep, plain water or saline water. Only use Peroxide wash once. Saline can be used more often if it needs a flushing. Then a layer of Neosporin (the kind without pain relief). I wouldn't put a bandage over it unless it is a severe wound, let it breathe. Isolate her until it is mostly healed and covered so the others do not peck at her.

She should be fine. Give her time to relax before handling her if she isn't use to it. If she is use to getting picked up and fussed with, clean her up as soon as possible.

The danger is in what dogs get into and the bacteria in their mouths. Don't be surprised at a small infection, but still, daily layers of Neosporin and clean cage should keep infection to a minimum.

I don't predict a dog bite would kill her, but keep a close eye for deeper infections.

Best of Luck!

Thank you!

She isn't used to being handled so I put her in her nesting box to calm down. I will try to isolate, but I don't really have a set up for it. Our chickens are free ranged. But that may change now that our dog went after them. :-( I can't believe she did. She is such a mellow dog, and she normally isn't ever phased by them.

Good job, I am sure she appreciates it, as the care does soothe the wound. I really hope she heals fast for you and is back to her old self.

I know how it feels, I have dealt with dogs that wouldn't even look at a chicken and then just gave a chase or caught one.

I agree with your thinking of changing up the situation. At least temporarily, until the dog can be trusted again or restrict the dog and let the chickens out to free range a few hours before roosting.

I wish you the best and I hope she heals up soon!

I would only chime in to say try a betadine & water solution to cleanse the open wound. I've been told peroxide does more tissue damage and prevents quick healing.

Otherwise treat for shock, provide adequate warmth and fresh clean water. Food, if interested. Isolate from the others. And, monitor for signs of infection or for the next several days.

Pawprint is correct-Peroxide does kill healthy tissue, which is why is should only be used on surface wounds or shallow wounds where the diluted Peroxide can be flushed clean. I apologize for not being more specific. The bubbling action though, has the great benefit of being a debris loosening agent. H2O2 reacts with blood and compounds from damaged tissue (because the cells are open) and produces oxygen bubbles that separate cells that are living, from debris. This is the only reason I recommend Peroxide water.I was a little vague, do not just pour peroxide on the wound, dilute it at least 50%.

Betadine actually kills the same amount of healthy tissue as peroxide. I had an issue with Betadine and the manufacturer gave me a very clear warning to never use Betadine on an open wound. Only on unbroken skin, very minor burns or cuts, and let the product dry before cutting (like in surgery, ie-caponizing). I had to confirm this with my vet those months ago, and she gave me a sterner warning. I honestly had no idea about this until I was corrected twice. If your chicken's wound is shallow, its a choice between both or saline, if the wound isn't full of debris then Betadine is probably better, but again only minor wounds. Otherwise saline is good for a little deeper wounds.

(Both Peroxide and Betadine do not affect skin because skin, epidermis, is dead tissue that is intact and free of the catalysts found in open cells, blood and muscle. This is why many people think peroxide is harmless, but both products are actually very damaging if used on deep wounds.)

No matter which method you use, do not use daily. Use once and then continue with the creme (Neosporin or their knock-offs work just as well). Read the packaging carefully as some knock-offs might work a lot different and not be able to be applied to certain wounds or have specific directions for animal bites.

Sorry for being a bit vague and sketchy on the details but just be aware that both products will damage some healthy tissue in deep wounds.

Back
Top Bottom