Hen attacked by possum (She's alive!)

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Scary evening tonight!

My family and I were sitting in the living room when we heard the sound of a hen being attacked. I ran outside to find a possum on top of my chicks' run in a pile of feathers. I threw a flashlight at him (hit him!! :yesss:) and my dog chased him around the yard. He got away. I found my Red Star hen Peebles about 30 feet away crouched in the middle of the grass.

Peebles does not like rules. Instead of going in the coop at night with her sisters, she chooses to perch on top of the coop or on the chicks' run, making herself a big ol target. I was about to go out and check to see if all the girls were in when I heard her.

I checked her over and she doesn't have any obvious trauma. She had all the feathers on her crop ripped out as well as some tail feathers. Unfortunately, the bald crop doesn't show up in pics and I didn't want to stress her even more. I immediately gave her sugar water and egg yolk when she came inside. She started shaking about 10 minutes after I brought her inside. I'm keeping her in our shower tonight just to monitor her and see if any issues spring up overnight.

Have some pics of the crime scene:

20210802_215358.jpg
20210802_215401.jpg
20210802_215409.jpg
20210802_215642.jpg
20210802_215653.jpg

She already had a lopsided tail from hatch, and now the poor girl is even more funny lookin'.

Scary evening tonight!

My family and I were sitting in the living room when we heard the sound of a hen being attacked. I ran outside to find a possum on top of my chicks' run in a pile of feathers. I threw a flashlight at him (hit him!! :yesss:) and my dog chased him around the yard. He got away. I found my Red Star hen Peebles about 30 feet away crouched in the middle of the grass.

Peebles does not like rules. Instead of going in the coop at night with her sisters, she chooses to perch on top of the coop or on the chicks' run, making herself a big ol target. I was about to go out and check to see if all the girls were in when I heard her.

I checked her over and she doesn't have any obvious trauma. She had all the feathers on her crop ripped out as well as some tail feathers. Unfortunately, the bald crop doesn't show up in pics and I didn't want to stress her even more. I immediately gave her sugar water and egg yolk when she came inside. She started shaking about 10 minutes after I brought her inside. I'm keeping her in our shower tonight just to monitor her and see if any issues spring up overnight.

Have some pics of the crime scene:

View attachment 2783763View attachment 2783765View attachment 2783767View attachment 2783768View attachment 2783769
She already had a lopsided tail from hatch, and now the poor girl is even more funny lookin'.
Glad she is alive.

Back
Top Bottom