Hen attacked by raccoon. Blind and acting strange

Certainly it's up to the OP to decide, every bird's situation is different and each chicken owner has their own limits as to how much intervention they are willing to give. Chickenzoo, your suggestion was great and I'm glad it worked for your rooster. Matthew hasn't given us much detail about his hen's condition, but if I had a hen injured by a raccoon 3 weeks ago and it wasn't healing and had to be hand-fed, I might consider helping her to the Other Side of the Road. Animal bites can become infected easily and be very difficult to heal.

She did get better but she has not done well the past few days.
She will not eat egg(we have tried).
She has been hurt for about 4 weeks.
Her neck wound has just about healed and does not seem to be bothering her.
I think she may be able to see out of one eye but I am not sure.
She has been mostly sleeping unless we wake her up.
And she will not eat anything or drink and can not stand up.

What are some humane ways to euthanize if necessary?

Matthew

Awww, the poor dear! It's impressive that she's lasted this long. It's certain you've been giving her the best of care. As her owner it's entirely up to you how long you are willing to continue to hand-feed her & give her water. But a chicken that can't stand or walk, who won't voluntarily eat or drink, who may be blind, and who is lethargic doesn't sound hopeful. She may not be in misery, but not as if she's having much of a life either. I like to give my birds a chance as long as they have breath, but not if they're incapable of basic functions.

There are other threads discussing humane forms of euthanasia. I use cervical dislocation, breaking the neck by holding the bird under one arm, grasping the head with the other hand and quickly & firmly pulling the head out & bending it a bit up to dislocate the neck. It instantly sends them to the Other Side of the Road.

I'm sorry for this trouble for you & your bird.
sad.png

sad.png
I'm sorry there wasn't a better outcome. But it's remarkable she lasted as long as she did, it had to be due to the excellent care you gave her trying to help her recover. I don't think you could have done any more, and now you showed the final kindness to her & helped her cross to The Other Side.

My rooster was attacked by something. Has some chunks bitten out of his lower back. He is acting strange and crowding me.
I'm afraid that he thinks that I'm a threat, but not sure. I had to put down the last rooster that became agressive,
and I don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.
Packed his wounds with antibotics, then coated lesions with Desitin (works great on open sores, and keep maggots out.).
Also, handled him approximately 12 hours after the attack...any chance that I could pick up rabies or something? He scratched me while I was trying to pick him up, but my wound did not come in contact with his wounds.
Let me know what you think,
In Christ Jesus, My LORD.

we have had a raccoon attack a chicken and she is healing very well and I am wondering if she will start to lay eggs again. does anyone have any information for me thanks

Back
Top Bottom