Hen Attacked! Help!

chickenlife01

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
I have a Cochin Bantam hen who was attacked by a Buff Orpington hen. They were in different cages and somehow got together... I suspect fowl play from the neighbors. Anyway, I need help with this poor baby! She was bleeding pretty bad and I can't see the size of the wound (it's on her head) but the bleeding has stopped now. She's still covered in blood because I don't want to hurt her. She's moving around fine. Eating and drinking. Her eyes are swelled almost shut but I know she can see. She greeted me with a familiar cluck when I went down to check on her a few minutes ago. I was just wondering what I can do? Antibiotics? Pain medicine? Please help! Thanks!

Awww...She needs a warm bath. I don't know what your set up is, but she needs to be isolated so she can heal. Chickens are attracted to the color red, and they will peck at her wound. Once you have her cleaned up, you'll be able to better asses the extent of her injuries. After you've got her all cleaned up, apply honey to her wound. Honey is a bioactive wound dressing that provides rapid wound healing, promotes the formation of clean healthy granulation tissue and re-epithelialisation, and stimulates cell growth. But first and foremost, she needs to be cleaned up. Good luck!

Kelly

Last edited:
Try Blue Lotion, an antiseptic that will stain the wound blue, so it doesn't attract pecking. You can get it at most farm supply stores, not expensive and good to have around in the future.

Good luck,

Clackclack

Awww...She needs a warm bath.  I don't know what your set up is, but she needs to be isolated so she can heal.  Chickens are attracted to the color red, and they will peck at her wound.  Once you have her cleaned up, you'll be able to better asses the extent of her injuries.  After you've got her all cleaned up, apply honey to her wound.  Honey is a bioactive wound dressing that provides rapid wound healing,  promotes the formation of clean healthy granulation tissue and re-epithelialisation, and stimulates cell growth.  But first and foremost, she needs to be cleaned up.  Good luck!

Kelly

Thanks! I have had her alone since discovering her in this condition. How would be the best way to do it? With a wrag ?

Thanks! I have had her alone since discovering her in this condition. How would be the best way to do it? With a wrag ?
Well, can you put her in the bathtub or the sink to wash her up? If the water is nice and warm, she most likely wont object too much. Then you can blow dry her if she's going to be going back outside. If you don't think you'll be able to "bathe" her, then wrap her up in a towel and use a really wet "warm", soapy wash clothe to gently clean her up. Rinse it out often until you get her clean. After you get her clean, you may find that she's not all that bad. I'd still go with the hone treatment though. You will need to clean her wound and re-apply it a couple times a day at first and then once a day till you see good healing take place. It's good that you already to the steps to isolate her.

Last edited:
Well, can you put her in the bathtub or the sink to wash her up?  If the water is nice and warm, she most likely wont object too much.  Then you can blow dry her if she's going to be going back outside.  If you don't think you'll be able to "bathe" her, then wrap her up in a towel and use a really wet "warm", soapy wash clothe to gently clean her up.  Rinse it out often until you get her clean.  After you get her clean, you may find that she's not all that bad.  I'd still go with the hone treatment though.  You will need to clean her wound and re-apply it a couple times a day at first and then once a day till you see good healing take place.  It's good that you already to the steps to isolate her.   

I knew that she would need to be separated from prior experience with chickens "taking out the weak link". And I will try!

Back
Top Bottom