hen attacking chick as it hatches

I have an OEGB who is an excellent broody, but a terrible mother. I have to take all the chicks from her as soon as they hatch. My other broodies don't act this way, so I would say it is just that particular hen.

Yeah, I had a hen who set and hatched 5 eggs. With us, it was her 2nd clutch. Her first clutch, she hatched out one out of five. The one drowned. Two others never made it out the shells.
Out of the five of the 2nd clutch, the first night one just disappeared. Never found any sign; the second day late in the day, my son and I found one "disabled". I told my son to bring it over to the mother, thinking that "mama knows best" and that she would take care of it. Well, she jumped on it like "white on rice" and pecked it to death in minutes.
Reuben was so mad, he asked if he could hit her.
The next day, we found another peep of hers that was "disabled". We brought it in the house, but it died before daybreak.
Two peeps left. I really thought that maybe there was something wrong with the peeps, and that mother really did know best. For two days everything was fine. Then, we went out to feed up and the first hatched out peep was dead. Pecked to death. Only one peep left. I was so mad!!! I told my DH, "Heck, this peep might not make it on her/his own, but it d**%^ sure won't make it with it's Mama! So, she is buried. The peep is doing fine without Mama.
I was told years ago that a hen that was hatched in an incubator without a mama didn't know how to be a mama.
Originally, I blamed the two that never made it out the nest to the dryness at the time. However, looking back, I am not so sure.
One thing is for sure. That hussy will never set another clutch for me!
I have another hen who just disappeared for about a month. I did see her about once a week. ( We have the opportunity to give our chickens free reign on the property)
Then she shows up with two peeps. She is an excellent mama. Her chicks are about one week older than the orphan.
Fortunately, the little orphan peep can hide out in the stalls (we have three horses) and is doing famously by itself.
My only regret in killing the hen is that I didn't do it before she killed the last peep. I would feel better about the one peep if it had another to hang out with.
So, in my opinion, sometimes Mama does know best. However, if Mama proves to be unfit, and your goal is to rear chicks, get rid of her quick.
I am looking forward to seeing the two chicks belonging to Lucy give us more chicks; however, even though I am very happy that the orphan chick is doing so well, what can I really expect out of (if it is a her) as a mama?

We shall see, shall we not?

Paula

P.S.The little orphan chick has now been adopted by another hen! She had been setting eggs that were due to hatch over the week-end. I had forgotten that you aren't supposed to wash eggs if you want them to hatch, so I wasn't expecting them to hatch, but had saved more eggs to put under her in case she didn't come out of her broodiness. Well, the day after the eggs were due to hatch we found her all cuddled up with the orphan chick and being very motherly! They are getting along just wonderfully! So, she has a mama to teach her how to be a mama. (If she is a female)

Last edited:
I had something similar happen with one of my broody chickens that I used to have. She had 5 eggs. The first four that hatched she pecked to death and the last one she scalped but I managed to get it in time and it survived. Needless to say I never let her hatch eggs again.

hi all quick update one of my 4 chickies died sadly other 3 have now grown out of their fish tank.
i have made them a small run for in the barn next to my other hen and her babies. Yesterday my hen attacked one of the other chicks thought it was goig to die of shock but is still alive feeding n drinking well, dont think it will be poking its head into the next pen again in a hurry, its definetly a survivor

This is soooo crazy.........I came in this room to get advice on a broody hen thats hatching chicks now, and the subject is here already.
I have had a broddy hen sitting on four eggs for 21 days. The past few days I would listen carefully and look closley at her and her nest anxiously awaiting our first natural hatch. Yesterday I raced to the chookhouse when I got home for work ....I was baffled. Broody hen was still sitting and I could hear tiny peeps. I saw one tiny piece of eggshell in the henbox (not in the nest). It was only the size of a dime. The hen had chick feathers dried all over her beak. I carefully covered her head for protection from the meanest hen I've ever owned, and lifted her up. Under her were 3 pipped eggs. Beaks were showing, they were peeping, but there was no sign of the fourth egg (except for the dime-sized piece outside of the nest). I searched the entire henhouse with a fine toothed comb for some evidence of a chick or more pieces of the egg.....nothing.
So I cover her again and remove her to inspect the nest.
THERE IS NO SIGN OF THE FORTH EGG OR CHICK. The only conclusion I can come up with is that she had EATEN the entire thing except for a dime-sized piece of shell.
Has anyone ever seen a broody hen not just kill, but eat their young?
I'm disguted.

I can't come up with anything........other chicks?
It had to have hatched in the middle of the day, so that doesn't rule out but definitely narrows the possibility of coons, possums, rats, etc. I really looked hard for snakes and/or evidence of something ..ANYTHING. Also, I've never seen a predetor-proof hen house, but mine is pretty secure.
i'M JUST HOPING THE OTHER THREE DON'T DISAPPEAR WHILE I'M AT WORK. That would really be heart-breaking....I could have put them in a hatcher last night, I just could't figure out what had happened so I thought I would let them finish their hatching where they were. Oh..............I'm just sick.....

UPDATE..............3 beautiful, healthy, fuzzy little chicks!! Oh thank you Lord!! I have no idea what happened to that first one, but mamma hen is doing a fantastic job and now I feel guilty for doubting her. I'll bet she didn't even eat the first one, something probably got it. But if she did, I'll never know. As for now I am just sooo happy that these three made it and looks like the hen is going to be a great mom. I do have one question...The hen box is about 4 feet off the ground. What if one of the chicks fall out? How will they get down when momma gets down? How long will momma stay in the box?
Okay that was three quetions, but my mind is still tripping from the brabator thread.....that is hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom