Hen attacking chick, should i try again?

Jun 6, 2023
Hi, I originally had a broody jappenese bantam(lucy) with 5 eggs, 4 cracked throuout the three weeks she was incubating. But at day 19, she got of her nest for no reason (I am starting to suspect I may have moved her one too many times). Luckily, I had an incubator, so I put that single egg in it for now. Went I went back outside to take care of the rest of my flock, which started at 12 and now consists of around 30 members😜, anyway, when I peered into one of the nesting boxes I saw another broody hen, this time an Ayam Semani(Gloria). I think I made the mistake of putting the singular egg who is now hatched, under her during the day, because as soon as I brought it into the dog crate I was keeping her in, she attacked it. So now I am debating weather I should try again at night or I should raise her as a brooder baby. If I do raise her, then I will get some free chicks at URI to keep her company.

Hi, I originally had a broody jappenese bantam(lucy) with 5 eggs, 4 cracked throuout the three weeks she was incubating. But at day 19, she got of her nest for no reason (I am starting to suspect I may have moved her one too many times). Luckily, I had an incubator, so I put that single egg in it for now. Went I went back outside to take care of the rest of my flock, which started at 12 and now consists of around 30 members😜, anyway, when I peered into one of the nesting boxes I saw another broody hen, this time an Ayam Semani(Gloria). I think I made the mistake of putting the singular egg who is now hatched, under her during the day, because as soon as I brought it into the dog crate I was keeping her in, she attacked it. So now I am debating weather I should try again at night or I should raise her as a brooder baby. If I do raise her, then I will get some free chicks at URI to keep her company.
How badly was she attacking the chick? Sometimes broodies peck baby chicks to get them back underneath them. Usually when I put chicks under hens, the hens become annoyed that the chicks won't stay put or behave. The chicks usually don't want to go under the hen because they haven't imprinted on the hen. Putting them under at night gets the mum and baby to get used to each other. Chicks are always better off with hen mothers. But you're right in being worried. If you think it's unsafe for them to be together, hand raising the chick is fine.

When I first placed the chick in with her, she was pecking it on the head repeatedly, so I decided to push the chick under the broody a little further. That's when she was trying to pull the chick out from under her by her legs. Finaly i decided to take away the chick in fear of the broody hurting her. It has been a couple of days since, so I decided to hand raise the chick with a couple others from URI:love. The broody is still broody with some eggs under her, should I let her hatch those or should I break her?

When I first placed the chick in with her, she was pecking it on the head repeatedly, so I decided to push the chick under the broody a little further. That's when she was trying to pull the chick out from under her by her legs. Finaly i decided to take away the chick in fear of the broody hurting her. It has been a couple of days since, so I decided to hand raise the chick with a couple others from URI:love. The broody is still broody with some eggs under her, should I let her hatch those or should I break her?
I would let her hatch the eggs. Her aggression was most likely due to her knowing the chick wasn't hers. Good luck with the chicks :)

Back
Top Bottom