Hen Attacking Me Daily

Pics
Ok, so no panic, I have seen lots of funky things and that is no worse. Early eggs can be all sorts of off and odd.

Is that the color of her breed's eggs? (When she does lay is this what they will look like?)

You could give her an internal exam... You wash your hand super well, find something as a lubricant and then slowly insert. It is a lot like a pap test (assuming you have had the experience) You are just looking to see pieces of shell or when you pull out, any yolk on your hand.

Note that this SOUNDS well worst than it is. I didn't think I could, then when I had one suffering I gathered my courage and did it. It was not so bad, kind of like the skin inside your mouth.

*****Alternative******
Check out her rear, you are looking for blood or yolk.

Do any of your hens have a dirty beak? Or tiny flecks of dried yellow in their feathers? If she (or anyone) dropped a shell less egg, they would likely have seen it and eaten it. If the egg broke inside her, that can be problematic for infection.
When I found that membrane yesterday I also found a poop with blood in it. I brought a sample to the vet and had it tested. No issues internally so that’s good news. This morning I found another membrane that looked similar to the other one (it was still wet so must be new) but I also found an egg and it was hers!! Her rear end looks okay I couldn’t feel anything. My best guess is she must’ve pushed it out with her first egg today. The egg can only be hers she’s the only one that lays that dark. When I checked her rear end I kind of wiped it as well to see if I could see any blood on the paper towel and nothing so far. Funny enough when I went to grab her and pet her today she didn’t peck or attack me once so maybe she was just having issues with her egg production? My azure blue laid for the first time today too! I’m keeping an eye to see if anymore weird things fall out of her bum today.

Attachments

• D60F9933-8AC5-44F8-981B-6484E43DBD83.jpeg
    D60F9933-8AC5-44F8-981B-6484E43DBD83.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 3
A hen's first few eggs are often shell-less, in my experience. It's all about hormones not quite in synch yet. Personally, I also think hormones might be at least part of the cause of her pecking you. She's a teenager, after all. I would keep her until you are sure she is laying (real eggs with shells) and see if her behavior changes.
She laid her first egg today!!! and I found another membrane that was still wet today as well. Funny enough when I went to check her vent and congratulate her on the egg she didn’t peck me once or go after me 🙄go figure. Maybe she will tomorrow but today was a good day at least!

Oh! She may have been trying to tell you that it hurt! She was having some internal issues, but that is settled!

Phew! Welcome to being the mother of a teenage girl!

(Feel free to call your parents to apologize for any cranky teenage behaviour of your own ;) )

Oh! She may have been trying to tell you that it hurt! She was having some internal issues, but that is settled!

Phew! Welcome to being the mother of a teenage girl!

(Feel free to call your parents to apologize for any cranky teenage behaviour of your own ;) )
She’s been squatting down for me and allowing me to check her vent without needing to hold her down. So I hope it truly is the end of the mean streak. And funny enough my mom said the same thing LOL. She called it payback haha.

well, hopefully that is settled, poor dear may well have been laying internally, which is very painful.

i had one hen come find me to tell me one of the others was ill. She put on quite a show. Normally a chatty little girl, but this time she just went all out to be the center of attention. She danced around in circles like a bee giving directions to a field all the while sqwacking all sorts of craziness. She was trying to tell me it was urgent. In hindsight I am kind of pleased that she knew I was the "go to" person to give care and comfort. I tried to pick her up, she scampered to the coop, I followed her into the coop thinking she needed something important, then she lay down in front of a nesting box. I bent to pick her up and that is when I saw the girl that needed me. It was very touching that she cared for her sister that way. As soon as I picked up the "real" patient, she seemed all sorts of relieved and just calmed right down. After I was done with the sick hen I checked out the "dancing & squwaking hen" but she was fine. When I brought the patient back to the coop her sister would lay down next to her as she recovered.

sometimes... sometimes... they are not saying what we think they are saying... we should just teach them to send text messages.

Back
Top Bottom