Hen attacks Chihuahua

SixMountainHens

Hatching
Aug 18, 2016
Howdy!

I have six hens that are about a year and. half old, purchased as day old hatchlings. I also have a very docile 11 year old chihuahua. The hens were raised around the dog without issue, until recently. One of my Rhode Island Reds has started to attack my dog, quite viciously. They free range and the dog goes out to use the bathroom a few times a day. I can no longer leave her out there alone, without fear that this bird will injure her. The dog does nothing to instigate these attacks and is smaller than the hens...

welcome-byc.gif
Time to convince the hen that such behavior is unacceptable.

Poor old Dog....Go out with the dog and make it look like the dog is after that hen....Use something like a stick or hold your dog and chase the Chicken...Chicken will learn the dog means business!! I had an old Chihuahua also and I did the same. Now I have a Yorkie and she does chase the chickens......

Poor old Dog....Go out with the dog and make it look like the dog is after that hen....Use something like a stick or hold your dog and chase the Chicken...Chicken will learn the dog means business!! I had an old Chihuahua also and I did the same. Now I have a Yorkie and she does chase the chickens......
Also if the dog is too passive? You bark and growl while chasing the chicken....They do not like it and learn the dog means business...HaHah!

Do not encourage the dog to chase the chicken. That would just be creating another problem.
Never stated have the dog chase the chicken......
Hold the dog and make the dog look bigger than the Chicken....It works. My chihuahua was 11 and the hens chased her. She passed away but I did the exact same thing and they left her in peace. I have a Yorkie who is only 3 months old and two pounds...she tries to chase them as my Tinker did not. Such a confusion sometimes..?

Never stated have the dog chase the chicken......
Hold the dog and make the dog look bigger than the Chicken....It works. My chihuahua was 11 and the hens chased her. She passed away but I did the exact same thing and they left her in peace. I have a Yorkie who is only 3 months old and two pounds...she tries to chase them as my Tinker did not. Such a confusion sometimes..?

Who said that you did?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give it a try and see what happens. At this point, the dog is too scared to poop!

Back
Top Bottom