Hen badly injured in the face and eyes. What should I do?

Ahalestorm

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
One of our hens was attacked by our protective mother hen and the injuries to her eyes and face look terrible! This is a first for me and I'm not sure how to approach treatment especially for her eyes. Oh and I should mention she's not docile or tame at all (she was given to us that way), so I can't imagine she'll be very tollarant of me touching her face. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

lol I don't know why the 4 pics I uploaded with the post didn't attach but I'm trying again.

IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG

Oh my, that is brutal. New chickens may easily get attacked if they are not slowly introduced through a fence or in a dog crate or pen. First clean off the dirt with a kitchen sprayer or water. I would get some Vetericyn wound spray and use on her face. Are her eyes intact or gone? The eyelids may swell for a few days where it can be hard to tell if the eye is intact or gone. Terramycin eye ointment or Vetropolycin eye ointment are both good for use in the eyes. Let us know how she is doing. You will need to water and feed her. Hold a small bowl up to her beak every 2 hours. Mix a wet mash of feed, some water, a little egg, and a spoonful of yogurt. Hold her wrapped in a towel with a cup of the mash to her beak to eat as much as she can 3 times a day. Wet feed gets a lot of water into them. Getting a baseline weight on a kitchen scale can help to see if she loses weight. You can also learn how to tube or crop feed here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

I think they're intact but I can't be sure yet. There's nothing new about this hen though. She and the momma who attacked her were given to us at the same time. I've had momma and her chicks separate from the rest of the flock but the excessive wind today must have worked the door open that kept the two coops apart. For now, she's in a large dog crate. Will that be sufficient for her?

Back
Top Bottom